Job at Chemonics: 2 Positions available for Drivers (Deadline: 30 October 2017)
Project: Rwanda Soma Umenye
Project: Rwanda Soma Umenye
Soma Umenye is a five-year USAID-funded activity that aims to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda. Covering all 30 districts of Rwanda and working in close collaboration with the Rwanda Education Board (REB) and the Rwandan Ministry of Education (MINEDUC), Soma Umenye will contribute to Rwanda’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) and the Government of Rwanda’s national development priority of ensuring that Rwandan primary-grade students acquire the fundamental competency of literacy so that they can succeed in future schooling and, later, in the modern workplace.
Soma Umenye aims to achieve the following two goals.
– To improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children (unique direct beneficiaries) in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of P3; and
– To ensure that at least 70 percent of P1-P3 students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
– To achieve the above goals, it requires close collaboration with all education stakeholders under the technical leadership of MINEDUC and REB.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive assigned project vehicle daily, as assigned and/or preapproved by supervisor; including on scheduled field trips, project-related trips within Kigali and other cities, and other driving assignments as required.
- Ensure cleanliness of assigned vehicle.
- Check assigned vehicle weekly to ensure that it is operational and safe to drive. On a weekly basis, check the oil, radiator, fan belt, brake fluid, wipers, tires, lights, and signals.
- Initiate and supervise any repairs or maintenance required on assigned vehicles, with supervisor’s approval.
- Initiate and supervise routine periodic maintenance of assigned project vehicles, including oil and filter changes, tune-ups, and professional cleaning by high-pressure hose based on the manufacturer’s instructions on optimum maintenance requirements.
- Fulfill project reporting requirements and maintain records; including vehicle logs, vehicle routing, and vehicle condition.
- Ensure passenger safety by obeying traffic laws, driving carefully and making good judgment while on the road, and ensuring each person in the vehicle wears a seatbelt.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Tertiary Education in mechanics or automobile maintenance is desired.
- English literacy and numeracy required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of chauffer or project driving experience required;
- Experience working for a U.S. company or NGO in Rwanda preferred.
- Valid Rwandan driver’s license and good driving record required.
- Defensive driving or similar course completion beneficial.
- Understanding of auto mechanics required; certification in mechanics or automobile maintenance preferred.
- Must be in good physical health.
- Availability for overtime work and field travel required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Written and spoken proficiency in English and French required.
Location of Assignment
The location of assignment is in one of Rwanda’s provincial capitals (see list below) with intermittent travel throughout the country.
- Southern: Nyanza
- Western: Karongi
The Driver will report directly to the Motor Pool Coordinator, or his/her designee.
To learn more about Chemonics, please visit www.chemonics.com.