Job at EarthEnable Rwanda: Driver (Deadline: 03 January 2018)
JOB DESCRIPTION: DRIVER
Company: EarthEnable Rwanda
Reports to: Global Director of Operations
Location: Nyamata, Rwanda
Compensation: Starts modest, commensurate with experience, with significant performance-based raises
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 80% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished.
About the Role
We are looking for a proficient, authorized and experienced driver to drive EarthEnable cars according to the internal policies of the company. The job willinvolve transporting company staff/company business partners, equipment, materials and deliveries to the areas where they are needed.
The driver will be entirely responsible for keeping up the vehicle entrusted to him/her. This entails inspecting the vehicle and perform basic support undertakings like refueling, changing oil, changing batteries and repairing some minor issues. The driver will also be required to oversee garage visits, routine vehicle inspection and acquisition of necessary motor-insurance and other relevant documents.
The specific tasks of this role will include, but certainly not be limited to:
- Drive EarthEnable staff to and from various locations
- Load and offload company products/materials whenever needed
- Transport products and materials securely to the areas where they are needed
- Keep up a travel log to record areas travelled to, travel time, and work hours
- Ensure vehicles are kept clean at all times
- Maintain EarthEnable vehicles and keep them in sound condition
- Carry out routine checks on vehicles and ensure they are sound
- Perform basic support undertakings such as changing oil, changing batteries and refueling
- Recognize electrical and mechanical faults and report to the supervisor
- Report any instance of accident to the dispatcher or supervisor
- Oversee garage visits and routine vehicle inspection (controlee technique)
- Pay tolls and other fundamental vehicle demands
- Keep all records, including receipts for vehicle maintenance
- Must possess a valid driving license (category B and experience in driving a Fuso would be an added advantage)
- Must have sufficient knowledge of traffic laws and hold fast entirely to them.
- Must have a clean driving record.
- At least 2 years’ driving experience.
- Driving experience in rural areas is an added advantage.
- Must be observant and safety conscious.
Apply online at https://www.earthenable.org/applynow/ not later than 3rd January 2018.