Job at Ministry of Education: Senior Policy, Research Expert (Contractual) (Deadline: 12 December 2017)
The main objective of this assignment is to contribute towards strengthening policy development, implementation and research function of capacity building, and generic planning in beneficiary institutions of the Ministry of Education by supporting policy, planning, research, implementation, reporting and decision making.
II. SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
The specific objectives are:
1. Provide strategic direction, monitoring and evaluation of all policy initiatives in the education
sector, including national education and sub
– sector polices and strategies, and ensuring their
effective contribution to national policies;
2. Ensure sound design, management and monitoring of the Education Sector Research
programme, including all research studies and activities;
3. Maintain close working relationships with sub
– sectors of the Education Sector Working Group
(ESWG) on all relevant matters concerning policy implementation and research activities;
4. Provide sound leadership and management of the Ministry by ensuring high quality
implementation of its Annual Work Plans through effective performance management
of the staff.
III. SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The purpose of this assignment is to support the Ministry of Education and initiate the link with other sub
– sectors in terms of strengthening planning, policy and research activities. This will be based on the already existing MINEDUC structure. This expert will assist Ministry of Education and their counterparts in delivering their Education Key Performance indicators/ targets and will advise user departments that take part in planning, policy and research. This expert will work in close collaboration with other concerned staff to ensure that relevant data/reports are collected, analyzed, evaluated and give feedback to support the Ministry in its mandate. Based on identified needs, the expert will also assist the Ministry’s counterparts to support partner / client organizations in their Policy and research function and advice the Ministry’s management.
IV. EXPECTED DELIVERABLES AND OUTPUTS
•Support the design and the development of sector policies;
•Support the development of sector plans and strategies;
•Sector policies and strategies are integrated within District Development Plans (DDPs);
•Monitoring, assessing, evaluating and providing feedback reports on coaching and mentoring;
•Assisting the institutional and human resource capacity development programs of the Ministry by providing key performance indications for these activities;
•Identify technical issues or gaps that need to be addressed, and bring to the attention of the Director General of Education Planning and Permanent Secretary;
•Responsible for leading small teams across different sub sectors of the Education Sector Working Group (ESWG) in policy tracking, analysis, writing and commissioning briefings as well as formulating and disseminating clear key messages;
•Possess advanced analytic capacity, develop clear priorities and plans for data and data systems, build organizational willingness to use data for decision
– making, and uncover valuable insight about performance;
•Ensure that policy and research are based on formats required by Prime
– Minister’s Office, MINECOFIN and National Institute of Statistics in Rwanda;
•Coordinate the elaboration of the annual reports.
• PhD or Master’s degree in one of the following areas: Economics; Econometrics, Statistics; Industrial/Organizational Psychology; Organizational Development; Social Science, Research studies, MBA, Project management, Development studies, Policy, planning and Management in Education and other related fields with at least 5 years of relevant working experience;
• At least five years’ proven international experience in Data
– Base Management and strategic planning;
• Demonstrated experience in project management (at least 3 years);
• Demonstrated experience in training, facilitation and coaching assignments.
• Professional Certification in strategic planning is an asset;
VII. SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Outstanding planning , coordinating, organizing and controlling skills;
• Good analytical skills;
• Ability to provide technical advice and build strong relationship with a wider range of stakeholders;
• Ability to deal with heavy work with minimal supervision;
• Demonstrate knowledge and strong interest in capacity development practices;
• Excellent coaching skills and ability to transfer knowledge and skills to others;
• Excellent computer, writing and communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and networking skills;
• Demonstrate strong communication and writing skills with the ability to both draft and analyze documents and reports
• Ability to view the big picture and identify linkages between programmes and projects to share best practices across the government.