Job at Vision Fund Rwanda: Database Administrator (Deadline : 19 March 2018 )
P.O. Box 6893
Muhima, Kigali, Rwanda
‘’Make a difference to thousands in the land of a thousand hills”VisionFund Rwanda (VFR), is Rwanda’s largest microfinance Institution.VFR is committed to the development of Rwanda through providing affordable financial services (savings and loans) to the less privileged throughout its 4zones in Rwanda.
VFR is the institution where you can develop your expertise working with the best people worldwide in a dynamic, team focused high performance environment. If you are looking for interesting but challenging work where you can make a difference in the world, then VFR has the will to make it so.
2. Database Administrator (1)
Directly reporting to: Senior DBA
VFR needs to recruit an experienced and qualified Database Administrator capable to manage and optimize VFR applications databases.
The expected database administrator (DBA) will be responsible for the installation, configuration, upgrading, administration, monitoring, maintenance, and security of databases in VFR. He will also be involved in the planning and development of the database as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.
Detailed roles and responsibilities
The preferred candidate will perform following roles and responsibilities:
- controlling and monitoring user access to the database;
- Enrolling users and maintaining system security;
- Backing up and restoring databases;
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users;
- Ensure systems and reporting structures provide appropriate portfolio and impact information and performance outputs to all levels of management;
- Investigate and analyze system imbalance and advise on the corrective action;
- Provides technical support to branches and or various departments under the supervision of Senior DBA.
- Apply licenses to banking systems when new licenses are acquired;
- Mapping out the conceptual design for a planned database;
- Considering both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users;
- Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system;
- Installing and testing new versions of the DBMS;
- Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection;
- Writing database documentation, including data standards and procedures;
- Controlling access permissions and privileges;
- Ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly;
- Working closely with VFR IT team to ensure good collaboration;
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Commissioning and installing new applications and customizing existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose;
- Work Closely with the Core Banking Vendor and consultants for new application integrity;
- Performs end financial activities (EOD, EOM and EOY) regularly;
- Documenting and communicating database logs and errors to the Vendor;
- Generating various reports by querying from database as per need;
- Performing assigned system administration related tasks;
- Managing and Monitoring Disaster Recovery replication;
- Other tasks assigned by his hierarchical supervisors.
- Knowledge of database theoretical concepts and design;
- Knowledge about the RDBMS systems especially Oracle Database;
- Knowledge of system reports design and development using crystal reports;
- Knowledge of structured query language (SQL) and Java programming;
- Knowledge of Oracle stored procedures, Functions, views and cursors
- General understanding of distributed computing architectures,
- General understanding of the underlying operating systems especially Linux and Windowsserver 2008;
- General understanding of storage technologies, memory management, disk arrays, SAN Storage and networking
- General understanding of routine maintenance, recovery, and oracle replication for business continuity;
- General knowledge of Banking and Business
- Be a Rwandese by Nationality;
- Have at least Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Technology and any other related field;
- Having any oracle and Linux professional certifications(OCA,OCP and Red hat) is an advantage;
- Having minimum age of between 25 and 32 years old;
NB: knowledge on the use of Orbit R Banking Application is an Added Advantage.
If you have the required qualifications and personal attributes; and are fluent in English/Kinyarwanda we are willing to offer you a very rewarding and exciting career.
Please drop your application, CV, Copy of ID addressed to People & Culture Manager at our Head office reception not later than 19th March 2018 at 4:30pm or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
By sending in your application, you consent to VFR running a background check on your record.