ACC 2022 African Urban Futures Postdoctoral Research Fellowships: (Deadline 10 June 2022)
The ACC invites applications from two suitably qualified applicants to apply for these one-year renewable Postdoctoral Research Fellowships (renewable for up to a total of two years, depending on satisfactory progress). Two positions are available. The successful candidates will be part of the Urban Policy Research Chair at ACC. Beyond the pursuit of their own postdoctoral research, the successful applicant is expected to contribute to the project in one of the following two domains:
- Undertake case study research to identify the emergent pockets of urban development innovation in African cities that, if stitched together, may help create an imaginary of alternative futures for African cities.
- Undertake an analysis of the crucial ‘agents of change’ for this new approach to urban Futures, in conjunction with various urban and city networks and key stakeholders that shape the urban governance landscape in Africa.
As part of Urban Futures Studio and ACC’s intellectual and institutional enterprise, the successful applicant will also be expected to share their work in internal and public forums, be able to engage with colleagues in relation to at least one of our areas of existing work and provide mentorship to ACC’s postgraduate student cohort.
About African Centre for Cities (ACC)
The nature and functioning of cities are at the epicentre of larger questions dominating the 21st Century about how we will fashion new economic and political systems that can effect a radically inclusive and sustainable society. Given that 95% of urban growth between now and 2050 will take place in Africa and Asia, the global South must take the lead in exploring and theorising emergent forms of urbanity. By necessity this knowledge practice must be rooted in concrete experiments to figure out how to imagine, enact and institutionalise novel forms of city-making.
African Urban Futures Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
- Type Fellowship
- Organisation African Centre for Cities (ACC)
- Country to study South Africa
- School to study–
- Course to study Not specified
- State of Origin
- Gender Men and Women
- Application Deadline June 10, 2022
Aim and Benefits of African Urban Futures Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
The fellowships are valued at R350,000 per annum and are tenable for one year, renewable for a total of up to two years subject to satisfactory progress. The fellowships are compliant with the SARS policies/rules and are therefore exempt from taxation.
Requirements for African Urban Futures Postdoctoral Research Fellowships Qualification
Applicants are expected to have completed a doctoral degree in an area of study relevant to urban studies within the past five years (e.g. Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Urban Geography, and related fields).
Applicants may not previously have held permanent full-time professional or academic posts.
As the Lab has a pan-African focus, applicants should have an extensive knowledge of cities across least two different sub-regions of Africa as defined by the United Nations (Southern Africa, East Africa, Middle Africa, West Africa, and Northern Africa) and a track record of relevant research and publication.
Fluency in English is a requirement and fluency in French will be an advantage.
June 10, 2022
How to Apply
- A letter of application stating your expertise, research interests, experience (particularly with regard to urban research in a least two sub-regions in Africa), and motivation for this position;
- A two-page concept note on what you see as the key sustainability challenges facing African cities, with some suggested approaches to using futuring to address those challenges;
- A CV including a list of publications/scholarly output;
- Copies of academic transcripts;
- Names and contact details of at least two academics who have taught, supervised, or worked alongside you.
For more details, visit ACC website.
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.