Advisor for Mini-Grid Component at GIZ Rwanda: (Deadline 29 September 2021)
Internal Vacancy Announcement
Advisor for Mini-Grid Component
Energising Development (EnDev)
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Governance, Sustainable Growth, Climate & Energy, and Digitalisation.
Energising Development (EnDev), implemented by GIZ, is supporting energy access in Rwanda through different technologies. One of the components of EnDev RW is the provision of support to the private sector through the provision of RBF financing toward the development of mini-grids as a means of providing electricity to villages in -off-grid areas. This will allow families to improve their living conditions. It will also enable small and micro enterprises to develop their business, improving income and creating new jobs in remote communities. At the same time, EnDev also seeks to strengthen the capacities of mini-grid companies in the country.
In order to successfully implement this component, GIZ is searching for a candidate for the position of Advisor to manage EnDev’s mini-grid component
Fixed time: 06.2022 with the possibility of renewal
Position: 1 (one)
A. Tasks and responsibilities
- Responsible for implementation of the mini-grid RBF component and achievement of objectives
- Reports regularly to the EnDev country manager on the progress of the activities
- Prepares PR material (e.g. progress reports, presentations) and follows media coverage
- Coordinates planning and implementation with EnDev officer overseeing electricity activities
- Represents component internally, especially vis-à-vis GIZ Rwanda and EnDev HQ
- Represents component activities externally and ensures coordination with external actors, including GoR, local government and other stakeholders
- Main liaison person for companies in the component, supporting their proposal development and overseeing implementation, incl. progress against timelines and quality requirements
- Develops synergies with other GIZ projects in Rwanda or other EnDev countries
- Organizes field visits, e.g. to oversee project implementation commissioning
- In charge of external consultants such as technical consultants for the evaluation of mini-grid installations and verification agents
- Leads annual mini-grids review and participates in the ongoing improvement of procedures with regards to mini-grids (institutional learning and innovation
- Carries out specific research tasks as required with sector experts in Rwanda or EnDev
- Scouts the sector for business development opportunities, incl. in new action areas.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the mini-grid space and contributes to knowledge sharing
- Engages mini-grids consultants and oversees the implementation of their assignments
- Plans, organises, and documents workshops, seminars stakeholder meetings
- Assists other experts in the EnDev country project, e.g. as expert or translator
- Represents the interest of the GIZ and always acts on its behalf
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- Participates in all relevant overarching activities and initiatives of GIZ, e.g. country planning, corporate sustainability handprint
B. Candidate profile and required qualifications and experience
The candidate must have experience in project implementation and a background in finance, business development or similar.
Qualifications and professional experience
- Minimum of 6 years of professional working experience in a similar position in the energy sector, including at least 4 years of active engagement with the private sector
- Proven experience in projects implemented with private companies in Rwanda, including with energy companies.
- Excellent understanding of the Rwandan household energy sector (particularly off-grid) and its trends
- Experience in financial analysis and financial modelling is an advantage.
- Experience working on donor projects is an advantage, particularly in private sector oriented programs such as RBF and/or other
- Knowledge of and experience with the development of minigrids
- Experience in other fields of energy access is an advantage
C. Additional competences
- Ability to work on one’s own initiative and to work with team members in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team
- Eagerness to travel regularly to the field and engage with target groups
- Strongly skilled in engaging eloquently with private sector as well as government
- Ability to explain complex and abstract concepts to illiterate audiences (beneficiaries)
- Curious and quick learner as well as good understanding why details matter
- Persistent and quality focused on the tasks, but at the same time creative and open minded
- The ability for abstraction, not only fulfilling instructions without scrutinizing
- Appreciation of constructive criticism;
- Computer literacy with excellent knowledge of MS Office (incl. proficient knowledge of Excel)
- Excellent communications skills in Kinyarwanda and fluent in English; ability to express oneself in clear sentences with relevant context;
- Willingness to learn new skills as required by the tasks to be performed
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates, and references) until 29 September 2021 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to email@example.com The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file. Please quote the job title in the subject
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please, let us know if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to take into account when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
GIZ Office Rwanda
KN 41 St. / Nr.17, Kiyovu
P.O. Box 59, Kigali,Rwanda
GIZ Office Rwanda reserves all rights!
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.