After Dark: Juried International Photography Exhibition. At least fifty images will be selected by the juror for exhibition at Praxis Gallery. Photographers will be notified of their selection twelve days after the deadline. Instructions for shipping art or online submission of hi-res artwork for print for exhibit will be included in the email acceptance notification. Accepted photographs will be posted on the Praxis website exhibition page at that time. All entrants must be 18 years of age or older. Submitted images may not have been exhibited at Praxis Gallery within the past year. The juror of the exhibition is Cory Fitzgerald.
Theme: After Dark
“Night does not show things, it suggests them. It disturbs and surprises us with its strangeness. It liberates forces within us which are dominated by our reason during the daytime.” ― Brassai
Spanning two centuries, night photography has captured the collective imagination of the masses. From the infamously long exposures required by early artists to high-speed color films and the advent of digital technology, the subject of the night has inspired an explosion of interest among contemporary artists. Natural vistas, celestial bodies, urban landscapes, factories, artificial structures, and nocturnal interludes represent but a few of the limitless subjects of nighttime photography.
Praxis Gallery seeks the submission of photographic works that explore the fundamental qualities that make night photography – from dusk to dawn – a compelling contemporary art form All genres, capture types, black & white and color, traditional and non-traditional photographic and digital post-production processes are welcome for submission.
After Dark International Photography Exhibition has the following awards
- At least fifty images will be selected by the juror for exhibition at Praxis Gallery.
- A Juror’s Choice, three Honorable Mentions, and a Directors Choice will be awarded and featured in the exhibition, the printed show catalog, and the online exhibit gallery.
- Juror’s Choice will receive free entry into three juried calls for entry of their choice and a complimentary exhibit book.
- Directors Choice will receive free entry into two juried calls for entry of their choice.
Exhibit Artwork Submission & Printing for Selected Artists
Praxis Gallery offers two options for selected artists to submit photographs for the exhibition:
- Praxis Gallery accepts original artwork that fits one of our four precut matte sizes. We do not accept framed artwork. Praxis will matte and frame artists’ original prints. Original art must be shipped with return postage and packaging.
- Praxis Gallery will print photographers’ hi-res files for a $35.00 fee. Photographers will receive instructions for uploading hi-res files to our secure Dropbox site. Praxis print technicians have over 50 years of custom fine art printing experience. Images will be printed on our state-of-the-art Canon 44 inch Pro-4000 printer on Premier brand archival fine art photography paper.
Exhibition Frame & Print Size
- Praxis features museum-quality 22” x 22” inch black frames. Selected photographers will be asked to choose from one of our four standards precut white mattes: (a) 11”x11” (b) 10”x15” (c) 11.8×15 (d) 8”x15″.
- Praxis Gallery will adjust the digitally submitted final hi-res images size (never crop) for best presentation in the mattes.
- Selected photographers will receive instructions with their acceptance notice on shipping their image or on sizing and submitting their high-res digital image files for printing for exhibition in the show.