Country HR&OD Specialist at Plan International Rwanda: (Deadline 1 June 2022)
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Country HR&OD Specialist
Human Resources Operations
Country HR&OD Manager
Geographical scope of role
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better life for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
Our organisation is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative and result-oriented individuals to manage HR operations. Culture and Change Champion who is able to support making change happen and support in managing organizational culture.
The position holder will be responsible to support the CHR&OD Manager in managing the Human Resource function both on a day to day operational basis and in some aspects of providing strategic guidance and advice, including but not limited to Talent Acquisition and Management, Compensation and Benefits Management, Employee Relations, Learning and Development. In addition, The role holder will be responding to internal and external HR related inquiries or requests, and HR audit queries and will be dealing with different HR reports as well as providing assistance to HR&OD Manager in order to achieve HR Department targets and be a backup for CHRD in his/her absence.
management scope, reporting lines, key relationships
Reports to: Country HR&OD Manager
Direct reports: None
Internal: The job holder has a close working relationship internally with the following departments and/or functions:
- All staff
External: The job holder has a close working relationship externally with the following departments and/or functions:
- HR Network groups
- Government offices
- HR service providers
Level of contact with children
- Low contact: Very low frequency of interaction
- Typical office environment with 30% travel in PIR’s programming areas.
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
- Working with the CHR&OD Manager to provide support to the organization’s human resources strategy and vision; by actively participating in any global or regional HR activities for local implementation through HoDs
- Coordinate and lead where applicable all process audits and closures where applicable
- Maintain and audit the HR Operations Information on Share point for all employee information ensuring data accuracy, Up-to-date, integrity, and confidentiality as per Plan International Data Protection policy.
- Monitoring the HRIS and Payroll Software to ensure accuracy and accountability for HR core data security and accuracy and timely updating as required for the region
- Maintain all personnel policies and procedures and provide guidance and
interpretation to staff.
- In collaboration with the CHROD Manager, review and as needed develop detailed workflows to support process (re)design, and/or improve existing processes.
- Monitor social committees and other social events
- Ensure HR operations in compiling the CHR&OD department unit reports as well as the whole CO-HR related reports
- Support in the design, development, delivery, and management of change communication
- Assists in generating, maintaining, and supporting a variety of regular and ad-hoc requests to meet HR Operations SLAs and needs for HR-related information to various levels of the system.
- Provide timely information for updating of Organization Structure to relevant teams through the HRIS.
- Review employment and working conditions to ensure legal compliances
- Facilitate staff’s socialization while nurturing Plan’s values and behaviors
- Support the development and implantation of HR initiatives and systems in consultation with CHR&OD Manager
- Take part in special assignments and committee works as and when required.
- Handle any HR issues as deemed necessary;
- Support Exit Management process for international hires which includes preparing exit letters, and conducting Exit Interviews.
Recruitment and onboarding
- Update current and design new recruiting procedures in collaboration with CHROD Manager (e.g. job application and onboarding processes)
- Coordination of job postings, receipt of applications, provides support in longlisting and advice on shortlisting stage;
- Responsible for interview planning and the liaison with the interviewees;
- Conduct reference checks, background checks, and separation according to recruitment and separations procedures.
- Provide monthly reports to the CHR&OD Manager on recruitment activities carried out when required;
- Ensures that clear statements of Plan’s commitment to Child Protection are included in all advertising, job profiles, and pre & post-interview documentation to candidates.
- Ensures that for roles involving contact with children, checks are completed before the person takes up post.
- Guide the hiring managers through the talent management process
- Compile new joiner information and notification to staff supervisors.
- Complete onboarding activities for newly hired international staff, including preparing and sharing onboarding information, and documents.
Compensation and benefits:
- Work with the CHR&OD Manager to ensure that our pay and benefits structure and application are in line with Plan International Rwanda and global guidelines.
- Manage the preparation of all staff payroll and timely disbursement of salaries or other employee benefits by ensuring leave and time sheet tracking for updating any payroll changes accurately and timely.
- Work closely with Finance team to ensure that timesheets are completed on time and all staff information are accurate for payroll processing;
- Manage the Staff Medical Scheme in accordance with contractual obligations such that all medical services to staff are satisfactory and contract procurement reviews are done timely and in accordance with Plan International Rwanda procurement policies;
- Coordinates the day to day HR administration duties by ensuring timely and quality HR paperwork for appointment packages and salary adjustments, promotion, transfers, employee requests, termination and separations process.
Performance management & Learning and Development
- Support the CHR&OD Manager to strengthen initiatives that promote staff development and capacity building
- Ensure all performance stages are completed by reminding staff and line managers of the timeline of each stage;
- Conduct refresher trainings on performance management processes to all staff and follow up to check if objectives set are SMART;
- Extract quarterly performance review’s reports and recommend urgent actions;
- Assess, identify, prepare and compile staff training needs as per performance appraisal results and submit annual training plan to Country HR Manager.
- Lead the induction process and ensure all new staff have been inducted and completed all mandatory trainings.
- Delivering training where possible, in consultation with the Country HROD Manager.
- Advise management on how implementation of training programs can be done in-house as much as possible and should also cater for individual personal development plans.
Employee Relations Management:
- Support the CHR&OD Manager to handle employee relations, grievance, and disciplinary cases, workplace safeguarding, employee safety, coordinate department audit
- employee health and well-being, by working closely with CHR&OD Manager, Heads of departments, Programme Unit Managers, and staff.
- Adequately monitor, provide data needed for disciplinary and grievance cases and participate in the case management when required
- Ensure that all staff understand Plan International Rwanda and Country office HR procedures and policies.
- Monitor the implementation of HR policies and procedures and access staff perceptions of policies, benefits, and welfare services;
- Respond proactively to all staff welfare support matters.
- Promote work-life balance by ensuring all departments have annual leave calendars and all leave types are logged in the HRIS system.
- Advice staff and managers in resolving HR Operational issues as well as contractual management issues and bring to the attention of the CHR&OD Manager
- Collaborate with and provide advice to key teams and/or departments within the offices to ensure that risk identification and management strategies of the HR processes, procedures, activities and appropriate mitigating actions are developed.
- Conduct operational HR risk assessment by working closely with County HR and OD Manager and In line with the HR management standards.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Promotes and abides by internal policies and procedures including but not limited to: Child Protection Policy; Code of Conduct; mandatory reporting responsibility.
- Ensures that all staff signed safeguarding policies;
- Implement Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
Leadership and BUSINESS management COMPETENCIES
- Courageous in taking a lead, focused on Plan International’s purpose and making the most effective contribution within my own work context.
- Behave in line with our values and safeguarding practices, inside and outside work.
- Challenge own attitudes, unconscious bias and behaviour and speaks up when they see wrongdoing, especially by those who use their power over others to create fear or abuse.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
- Honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
- Take responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
- Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges and change, using own initiative to analyse issues and improve things.
- Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES
- Understands responsibilities, level of decision making and how my role contributes to the wider team.
- Works in accordance to the policies and procedures relevant to my role and responsibilities
- Uses the personal development tools available
- Creates channels of communication with other individuals and teams.
- Identifies with the Plan International logo and brand and understand what they represent.
- Applies the brand guidelines to all forms of written and verbal communication
- Considers the audience, purpose and accessibility of all communications, taking the local context and culture into account. Where necessary, adjusts the tone, style, complexity and level of technical detail of communication accordingly.
- Evidence-based management: Understands the importance of high-quality data and the implications of poor data. Understands what data Plan International needs to inform decision-making. Interprets a range of sources to inform evidence-based decisions relevant to my role.
- Digital working: Identifies ways to use digital to improve the effectiveness of work activities. Understands how digital enablers can contribute to achieving Plan International’s purpose. Utilises the digital tools available in line with privacy and safeguarding guidelines.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications/ experience essential and desirable:
- University Degree preferably in Human Resource Management or Business Administration or a related field and/or equivalent is required.
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in a Human Resource Operations function preferably includes experience in Employee Relations and managing HRIS.
- Technical skills using diverse HRIS and reporting tools is required
- Experience of International NGO or demonstrated equivalent combination
- Excellent organisation and communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and deal with a range of incoming enquires – organisation is key to the success of this role.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook, also keen knowledge and experience of the importance of databases and their role in providing accurate management information.
- Able to form and maintain effective working relationships
- High tolerance for ambiguity and ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast-paced and results-driven work environment
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and be able to deliver to tight deadlines
- Experience in handling disciplinary cases
- Ability to provide training
- Fluency in English language is essential
- In additional to Kinyarwanda, knowledge of French language would be an added value
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organization by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organization, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
How to Apply
Click on the Apply button for application until 25th of June,2022
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.