Environment Safeguards Specialist at MINEDUC SPIU: (Deadline 30 November 2021)
Specific responsibilities will include:
Supervision of and reporting on the implementation progress of the Project Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP) and related instruments such as the Project Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF); Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP); and Labour Management Procedures (LMP);
Reviewing proposed project activities and ensuring that environmental risks and impacts are taken into consideration and well documented; quality enhancement of site specific environmental management plans; and provision of technical oversight and supervision of consultants preparing site specific environmental management plans;
Provide policy and operational guidance to the MINEDUC SPIU on environmental issues as a means of enhancing the environmental safeguards performance of Ministry led projects;
Work with the project staff to ensure reporting, monitoring and evaluation fully address the safeguard issues of the project; providing a well-documented, evidence-based compliance reports to be incorporated into the project annual reports; and
Support and advise the stakeholders to address a variety of environmental safeguards issues at all the stages of the planning and implementation of projects;
Identify and assess training needs of project staff and implementation partners; and develop and deliver the appropriate and required training sessions with relevance to the implementation of environmental safeguards under the project;
Initiate and review Terms of Reference for environmental assessments required to inform projects preparation;
Collaborate with Social Safeguards Specialist to consolidate safeguards reports from Districts, prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual environmental and social safeguards reports to MINEDUC and projects’ funders;
Develop and contribute to the development of knowledge products on environmental sustainability and environmental safeguards performance of Ministry projects; and
Perform any other relevant safeguards-related duties.
4. Selection Criteria
The following are the required education qualification and work experience for the Environmental Safeguards Specialist position.
• Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences; Natural Resources Management or natural resources related field.
• The Environmental Safeguards Specialist should have at least four (4) years of full-time relevant professional experience for Masters’ Degree holders and at least seven (7) years for Bachelor’s Degree Holders. The relevant experience should be in environmental safeguards projects implementation, preferably with World Bank, AfDB, EU and other Donor’s funded projects. Demonstrating knowledge and experience working with World Bank safeguards policies and instruments; or with similar standards and policies of other multilateral development institutions is an added advantage.
• Extensive experience in conducting environmental assessments and development of environmental safeguards policy instruments (ESMF, ESMP, EMP, ESIA); and the ability to train others in the application of these instruments.
• Have a good working knowledge of project cycle activities and project preparation and management.
• Membership of Environmental practitioners association or national institutions is an advantage
• Have very good communication skills (written and oral) in English and Kinyarwanda. Good knowledge of French will be an added asset;
• Have well developed planning and organization skills and good ability in working productively in a team environment of diverse backgrounds;
Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences
Master’s Degree in Environmental Sciences
Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources
Master’s Degree in Natural Resources
Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources Management
Master’s Degree in Natural Resources Management
Competency and Key Technical Skills
Strong critical thinking skills and excellent problem solving skills.
Commitment to continuous learning
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.