Iceland Greenhouse Restaurant Architecture Competition 2021: (Deadline 11 November 2021)
Applications are open for Iceland Greenhouse Restaurant Architecture Competition 2021. The Iceland Greenhouse Restaurant competition is a collaboration with Vogafjós Farm Resort, located east of lake Mývatn. For this competition, participants are tasked with designing a greenhouse concept restaurant. Fresh, locally grown foods are scarce in Iceland, particularly during the winter months.
The Greenhouse Restaurant competition is calling for submissions for designs of a greenhouse that would also function as a dine-in restaurant. The green house would allow Vogafjós Farm to grow salad vegetables, fruits, and berries that could then be served in the restaurant, offering the guests an immersive experience as well as delicious, locally -produced food.
Designs for the Greenhouse Restaurant would need to accommodate around 100 guests and include standard amenities, such as an appropriately-sized kitchen, storage facilities, and toilets. The owners would like to develop a restaurant in which customers could see how the food that they’ll be eating is grown, combined with a view of the milky blue mineral water of Mývatn Nature Baths on one side and Hverfjall volcano on the other.
The owners are also looking to include a multipurpose hall that can be used for a number of different events, such as movie nights and yoga classes. Any additional functionality can be suggested where appropriate. The naturally heated hot springs can be used as a heating source, but it is not a mandatory requirement.
As winning designs will be put forward for consideration for construction, the jury will be looking for projects that focus on eco-friendly and cost-effective building techniques, in keeping with Iceland’s reputation as one of the greenest countries in Europe.
- 1ST PRIZE: 5,000 €, Publications, and Certificate of Achievement
- 2ND PRIZE: 2,000 €, Publications, and Certificate of Achievement
- 3RD PRIZE: 1,000 €, Publications, and Certificate of Achievement
- “Vogafjós Farm Resort Favourite” Award: 1,000 €, Publications, and Certificate of Achievement
- And many more awards
- Competition is open to all. No professional qualification is necessary.
- Design proposals can be developed individually or by teams (4 team members maximum).
- Correspondence with organizers must be conducted in English. All information submitted by participants must be in English.