International consultant to support DRC SEZ operationalization and to assess industrial development skills needs at United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA): (Deadline 22 December 2021)
EXPECTED DURATION• The consultant will be recruited for an estimated period of 3 months
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES1. Background and Justification
The Sub-Regional office for Eastern Africa (SRO-EA) is established as one of the five sub-regional offices of United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), whose mandate is to promote economic and social transformation in the continent by: a) Collecting information to prepare country and sub-regional profiles that include risk analysis for member states b) Contributing to and promoting the results of ECA’s policy-oriented research; c) Providing policy advisory services to member States, regional economic communities and sub-regional development operators to promote regional integration and sub-regional initiatives; d) Serving as facilitators of the integration activities of organizations of the United Nations system operating within the sub-region; e) Strengthening the capacity of members states, RECs and other stakeholders for policy making in favor of structural transformation, industrialization, and sustainable development.
The Minister in charge of Industry of DRC has requested UNECA’s support towards the operationalization of six Special Economic Zones (SEZs) across the country, through identification of pilot industrial projects and skills needs assessment. It is against this background that the SRO-EA seeks to recruit an international consultant to lead both the operationalization of SEZ and skills needs assessment.
2. Objectives, Duties and Responsibilities
This consultancy aims to carry out a study to identify potential industrial projects to be piloted as part of the operationalization of the six SEZs of the country. Additionally, the consultancy intends to assess the national skills needed for industrialization in general and operationalization of the SEZs in particular.
The work will be supervised by the Regional Integration and AfCFTA Cluster of SRO-EA. The consultant will work under the overall guidance of the Chief of the AfCFTA Cluster. The International consultant will carry out the following duties:
1) Conduct an analysis of the state of industrialization in DRC and identify potential pilot projects as well as policy measures for the operationalization of the SEZs, with a special focus on the Manono SEZ;
2) Conduct a need assessment on the skills and competences required for the operationalization of the SEZs, with a special focus on the Manono SEZs;
3) Assess the potential and capacity of Manano SEZ to participate into regional value chains in the mining sector, more specifically on cobalt and Lithium;
4) Conduct field visits to the SEZs to determine the existing skills and competences and the gaps;
5) Make recommendations on potential pilot projects and way forward for the SEZs operationalization;
6) Draft two study reports;
7) Prepare PPT presentations on the two studies and their results; and
8) Conduct national workshops and present findings to stakeholders
Academic Qualifications: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, statistics, international trade, development studies or related area is required. A first level degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in the specified fields with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Doctorate degree in the specified fields is an advantage.
Experience: A minimum of ten years of experience in economic analysis with special focus on industrialization, Special Economic Zones; trade and private sector development, or related field is required.
The following technical competences are desirable:
• Strong understanding of industrialization and trade related environment in DRC (both public & private sector);
• Demonstrated knowledge of challenges to industrialization, trade and private sector development in DRC;
• Proven experience in project development preferably for SEZs; and
• Experience in skills needs assessments for development projects.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this consultancy, fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: email@example.com and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.