Rwanda Agricultural Research Intern at One Acre Fund: (Deadline 13 January 2021)
ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 7,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, our farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
ABOUT THE YOUNG PROFESSIONALS PROGRAM
One Acre Fund’s Young Professionals Program offers high-performing African graduates meaningful internships and training opportunities at a high-performing, mission-driven organization. Our internships are paid and all interns can expect to receive substantive work assignments working on high-impact projects that support One Acre Fund’s operations.
When joining, interns will participate in an onboarding program and receive training on how to design and execute projects. Over the period of your internship, you will get the opportunity to work with like-minded individuals and receive learning opportunities to build strong foundations for your future career.
The Product Innovations Department is announcing a paid internship starting in January 2021. Our department is responsible for conducting trials that help to estimate the impact of new agricultural products and methods for Rwandan farmers. Products span a range of themes from cereal/legume/root crop agronomy (varietal trials and GAPs) to cropping system development, soil fertility, livestock, and beyond. Projects begin with a look at the estimated impact and identifying the research questions and continue on to station trials and farmer field trials. Our end goal is to provide a recommendation for or against implementation and country-wide scaling to the Core Programme.
- Conduct in-depth interviews, surveys of our client population, and rigorous desk research and modeling to understand potential areas where we might create impact for clients through new products, services, methods, training, and other behavior change solutions
- Design experimental trials to be conducted at our 3 agricultural research stations
- Construct complex impact models to judge the financial, environmental, and health impact of promising products on our clients
- Take ownership of trial implementation by working with station and field teams and ensuring quality data collection
- Data cleaning, data analysis, reporting, presentation of results, and assisting other teams in the roll-out of products
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will:
- Have a completed Bachelor’s degree in agriculture or related disciplines (agronomy, livestock, agribusiness, or agricultural economics)
- Be a ‘generalist’ who may flexibly take on projects spanning different agricultural themes (see above)
- Be a scientific-minded person who has a passion for investigating thoroughly a research problem
- Have a good command of written and verbal English
- Use Excel/Google Sheets for database creation and data analysis (experience in statistical analysis is considered an advantage)
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we deeply invest in our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training, and regular feedback on your performance. We’ll hold career reviews every one-three months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and gain rewarding technical experience.
PREFERRED START DATE
This internship will start in January 2021 or otherwise as soon as the position is filled.
JOB LOCATION: Rubengera, Rwanda
Interns will be provided with a reasonable stipend for the duration of their contract. Rural area based fellows will be provided assistance in locating suitable housing.
DURATION: 3 – 6 months
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; must have existing rights to work in Rwanda.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here ([email protected]), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.