2 Job positions at RWANDA TRANSPORT DEVELOPMENT AGENCY : Social Safeguards Specialist ( Under Contract) ( Deadline:04 September 2018 )
2. Overall Function of the Position
Social Safeguard Specialist will be part of the Feeder Road Program, under the supervision of the Feeder Road Program Manager. She/he will be responsible for Identifying and Overseeing Social Safeguards issues and be involved in implementing appropriately the resettlement action plan, support and provide guidance for grievance and redress mechanism during project implementation. She/he will work closely with District staff and the Feeder Roads Engineer/ Project Manager at the District level.
3. The key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
i. To support and guide the activities of Social Safeguards at the Central level and District level ;
ii. To review and quality assurance of the RAPs prepared by the consultants,
iii. To supervise and implement the resettlement action plans and regularly report on implementation progress ;
iv. To ensure that timely feedback is provided to comments from the World Bank related to social safeguards in project,
v. To Ensure effective integration of social safeguards considerations into all aspects of identification, consultation, planning and implementation of project activities ;
vi. To Coordinate and liaise with the World Bank to ensure effective mainstreaming of social safeguard issues into the implementation of project activities ;
vii. To ensure that Project activities are consistent in their approaches to social safeguard issues, thereby supporting full blending at the operational level ;
viii. To work closely with officials of District and sector in all process of social safeguard ;
ix. Consolidate a grievance database of all Districts under which the Feeder Roads Project is implemented and maintain it updates,
x. To prepare and update all documents related to the process of social safeguard documents (MoU, grant agreements, etc…)
xi. Updating Resettlement Action Plan (RAP)and Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) if done by consultants where necessary
xii. To ensure that social safeguard related modules are incorporated in the training and capacity building programs at all the levels ;
xiii. To ensure that the contractors follow the Codes of Conduct signed by the Companies, Managers and Employees during the construction and maintenance phases in the selected districts;
xiv. Review and supervise the Prevention and Response Action Plan (PRAP) in all selected districts for all lots, for Labor Influx, Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), Sexual Harassment (SH) and Violence Against Children (VAC), prepared by the Contractors;
xv. To oversee the Project Compliance teams in all districts that will follow up the Prevention and Response Action Plan (PRAP) regarding Labor Influx, Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), Sexual Harassment (SH) and Violence and Abuse Against Children (VAC);
xvi. To be part of the training and raising awareness sessions with the communities about GBV, SEA, VAC, HIV/AIDS, Labor Influx Prevention, etc.
xvii. To participate in identifying suitable consultants/institutions to be used on technical support activities and training & capacity building related to social safeguard aspects;
xviii. Defining, and subsequently monitoring, suitable social safeguard indicators for Projects ;
xix. Providing social safeguard inputs to monitoring, evaluation, and reporting activities ;
xx. Ensuring regular interaction with the External Consultants / World Bank Mission / stakeholders on Environment and Social Safeguard aspects;
xxi. Support in formation and training the grievance and redress committees at the district level and following up beneficiaries’ complaints
xxii. Document and share lesson learned and best practice with the networks
xxiii. Conduct other duties as Assigned by the Project Coordinator or the Project management at the National level
xxiv. Prepare the cash flow plan of according to the RAP
4. Qualifications and Experience Requirement
• Education: MSc in Social studies, Sociology, Psychology, Development studies or A0 in Social studies, Sociology, Psychology, development studies.
• Experience: The expert should have, for Masters at least One (1) year for Bachelors(A0) at least five (5) years experience in social or environmental safeguards projects implementation, preferably with World Bank, AfDB, EU and other Donor’s funded projects. Demonstrate knowledge and experience working with World Bank safeguards policies and instruments; or with similar standards and policies of other multilateral development institutions is an added advantage.
• Communication skills: Have very good communication skills (written and oral) in English and Kinyarwanda. Good knowledge of French will be an advantage;
• Management skills: Have well developed planning and organization skills and good ability in working productively in a team environment of diverse backgrounds;
• Other skills: (i) Quantitative and analytic skills, (ii) Working knowledge of Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), (ii) Ability to manage priorities and be detail
– orientated within a dynamic, fast
– paced environment, (iv) Work in a team environment to determine and or review ideas to find solutions to problems, (v) Ability to work independently with little or no supervision while maintaining a high, (vi) level of efficiency and still upholding a team mentality.