45 Job Positions for Short-Term Data Collector at Chemonics Soma Umenye LLC (Deadline: 17 August 2018 )
USAID Soma Umenye LLC
Title: Short-Term Data Collector
Project: USAID Soma Umenye
USAID Soma Umenye is a five-year project that aims to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda. Covering all 30 districts of Rwanda and working in close collaboration with the Rwanda Education Board (REB) and the Rwandan Ministry of Education (MINEDUC), Soma Umenye will contribute to Rwanda’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) and the Government of Rwanda’s national development priority of ensuring that Rwandan primary-grade students acquire the fundamental competency of literacy so that they can succeed in future schooling and, later, in the modern workplace.
USAID Soma Umenye supports Rwanda’s Ministry of Education (MINEDUC) and its implementing agency, the Rwanda Education Board (REB), to improve early grade reading through its Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) 3, by developing mechanisms to engage district leaders in the delivery of early grade reading.
Soma Umenye aims to achieve the following two goals;
To improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children (unique direct beneficiaries) in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of P3; and
To ensure that at least 70 percent of P1-P3 students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
To achieve the above goals, it requires close collaboration with all education stakeholders under the technical leadership of MINEDUC and REB.
Purpose of Assignment
In collaboration with the Rwanda Education Board, USAID Soma Umenye is hiring data collectors to support the administration of a survey and student assessment. USAID Soma Umenye is looking for data collectors to attend a training and take brief test following the training. Those data collectors that score sufficiently well on the test will be hired to conduct the assessment.
USAID Soma Umenye requires data collection services both the last week of August and between September 17-October 5, 2018 (trainings will precede each set of dates).
- Attend every day of training organized for all data collectors
- Participate in training exercises, including completing data collection activities. According to assignment from Soma Umenye, travel to designated schools (between September 17-October 5, 2018). Soma Umenye will provide transportation and accommodation
- As demonstrated in training, conduct the required number of daily students’ assessment, interviews and questionnaires with the sampled target groups (head teachers, teachers, and students) using tablets and other electronic devices
- Fluency in written and spoken Kinyarwanda and English required;
- University degree in language education preferred;
- Experience with educational research and/or as a data collector in the education sector required;
- Prior experience using tablets or other electronic data collection devices required;
- Willingness to conduct all activities included in the scope of work (including travel to remote areas of Rwanda) required;
- Punctuality, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to work under pressure to meet deadlines required.
Location of Assignment
The location of assignment is Kigali, Rwanda with travel throughout the country during data collection.
The Data Collector will report directly to Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Specialist or his/her designee.
To learn more about Chemonics, please visit www.chemonics.com.