Job at Akilah Institute Rwanda : Campus Communications Manager
Are you ready to revolutionize education across sub-Saharan Africa? Join us! We are pioneers in developing innovative educational products for the African market. We’re on a mission to prepare students to solve the world’s most pressing challenges through a lens of opportunity and sustainability.
We’ve built our reputation on delivering high-quality, market-relevant education for women at our campus in Rwanda. Our unique model leverages technology, competency-based education, and personalized learning to offer a radically different academic experience that puts graduates on the fast track to success. Ninety percent of our alumnae are employed within six months of graduation, and they earn, on average, 12x Rwanda’s national median income.
We opened our doors nearly a decade ago. Now we’re leveraging our experience to scale our proven model across the continent: We’re increasing enrollment, opening new campuses, and offering a suite of other educational products to reach young learners and working professionals.
Our academic pillars (21st-century skills, personalized learning, innovation, ethical leadership, and sustainability) will serve as our guiding light during this phase of rapid expansion. They define every program that we offer. We’re committed to delivering a transformative learning experience that equips students with the knowledge and tools to balance vibrant economies with a healthy environment to create a future of abundance for all. Will you join us?
The Campus Communications Manager will play a key role in executing Akilah’s communications strategy at our Kigali Campus. He or she will be responsible for managing day-to-day campus communications operations and logistics.
The Campus Communications Manager will work closely with our headquarters in Hong Kong and the Digital Marketing Manager to develop and execute a marketing and communications plan for an international organization. This role encompasses a wide range of responsibilities, from event planning to public relations to communications coaching.
This position is ideal for professionals with a background in communications, marketing, and/or operations. He or she should be meticulous, highly organized, creative, an excellent communicator, and a self-starter. We’re a fast-paced organization looking for someone who can adapt and learn quickly.
This position is based in Kigali, Rwanda & the Campus Communications Manager reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Roles and responsibilities:
Campus Communications Liaison
- Serve as on-campus point-of-contact for communications needs
- Advise colleagues re: communications/marketing protocol and direct requests to the appropriate person on the communications team
- Oversee content collection for Akilah’s bi-monthly internal newsletter
- Facilitate on-campus implementation of large-scale communications projects, such as new marketing campaigns and updates to existing communications materials
- Manage work-study students
- Maintain an up-to-date calendar of campus events
- Provide content for social media and the Akilah blog as needed
- Contribute to communications/marketing brainstorming and strategy sessions
- Support the development of communications materials and editorial products, including newsletters, brochures, reports, and blog posts
- Work with the Communications Team to elevate the Akilah brand by identifying strategic outlets, audiences, and partners
New Student Recruitment
- Provide communications feedback, support, and training to recruitment officers
- Check in regularly with recruitment to solicit new recruitment needs and provide feedback on existing processes and messaging
- Pitch stories to local reporters and news outlets
- Maintain an updated list of local news outlets and contacts
- Inform media contacts of upcoming events and announcements
- Help organize on-campus events, such as open houses and official visits
- Provide support during Akilah’s graduation ceremony
- Help coordinate Akilah’s presence and involvement at external events in Rwanda
Desired skills and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or a related field
- At least five years of professional experience in communications, marketing, or a related field
- A masters degree in communications / marketing will be an added advantage
- Strong writing skills
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in digital technologies, such as Google Drive
- Self-driven and results-oriented with a positive outlook
- Demonstrated interest in women’s education and living/working in Kigali, Rwanda
- Experience in project management, particularly large-scale, long-term projects
- Experience in event planning and execution
- Result oriented, superior attention to detail and comfort operating in a fast-paced environment with accountability to results.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet demanding targets. Must be flexible and able to pivot quickly to meet changing needs of the department
- Ability to exercise both individual and collaborative decision-making.
- A strong social media presence in Rwanda / East Africa
- Rwandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.