Job at Akilah Institute Rwanda : Information Technology Bridge Program Instructor
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Information Systems Program Manager,
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Are you ready to revolutionize education across sub-Saharan Africa? Join us! We are pioneers in developing innovative educational products for the African market. We’re on a mission to prepare students to solve the world’s most pressing challenges through a lens of opportunity and sustainability. We’ve built our reputation on delivering high-quality, market-relevant education for women at our campus in Rwanda. Our unique model leverages technology, competency-based education, and personalized learning to offer a radically different academic experience that puts graduates on the fast track to success. Ninety percent of our alumnae are employed within six months of graduation, and they earn, on average, 12x Rwanda’s national median income.
We opened our doors nearly a decade ago. Now we’re leveraging our experience to scale our proven model across the continent: We’re increasing enrollment, opening new campuses, and offering a suite of other educational products to reach young learners and working professionals.
Our academic pillars (21st-century skills, personalized learning, innovation, ethical leadership, and sustainability) will serve as our guiding light during this phase of rapid expansion. They define every program that we offer. We’re committed to delivering a transformative learning experience that equips students with the knowledge and tools to balance vibrant economies with a healthy environment to create a future of abundance for all. Will you join us?
Akilah is searching for an energetic & motivated candidate for the position of Information Technology Instructor for our 2018 Summer Bridge Program. The Information Technology Instructor will play a critical role in the IS department with duties related to delivering IT Courses, planning student centered lessons, and provide ongoing feedback to the Academic Director and Chief Academic Officer to continuously improve the Information Technology Bridge curriculum. This position is ideal for a determined and passionate Instructor who wants to empower women through education.
- Effectively deliver IT classes with a Competency Based Curriculum to Akilah learners as per Akilah Standards.
- Provide ongoing feedback on the effectiveness of the IT Bridge curriculum to the Academic Director and Chief Academic Officer. Provide input and recommendations on how to successfully adapt the IT curriculum for cultural and situational relevance.
- Ensure that students provide course evaluations at the end of each course by scheduling with students to complete this requirement.
- Work with students to complete extra tasks in order to become proficient in their competencies
- Ensure marking/grading and reporting of students’ performance is carried out every week in Sycamore the student management system and as per the deadlines set by Akilah. In addition, students participation, attendance and homework is recorded and update on a weekly basis in a Google Doc sheet.
- Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback on their performance.
- Ensure students’ attendance is recorded by period daily via the Student Management System. Alert the Academic Director and Dean of Studies regarding particular student attendance issues for effective and appropriate timely management.
- Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah regulations as per the Student Handbook policies.
- Perform other duties including, but not limited to, meeting with students who have academic challenges, providing tutoring and additional instruction, and providing encouragement to students.
- Attend weekly PLC meetings
- Attend all required professional development sessions
- Adhere to and observe all policies as detailed in the Akilah Employee Handbook and Faculty Handbook.
- Teach any other related courses as per the need of the Institute.
- Accept additional assignments and projects, as needed. Meet deadlines and provide deliverables as per Academic Director/Principal’s instructions.
Desired skills and Qualifications
- Interest in teaching and a commitment to grow their individual teaching practice.
- Open to and willing to work on feedback regarding teaching practice.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook, Google Docs, PowerPoint, Google drive and databases.
- Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment.
- Extraordinarily resilient, positive and proactive character.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or field related to Akilah’s educational programs, Degree in IT or IS required. .