JOB AT Carnegie Mellon University Africa : Program Manager : ( Deadline : 27 May 2019 )
Registration Due Date : 27/05/19 17:00
Location : Kigali, Rwanda
Contract Type : Open Ended
Job title; Program Manager
Reports to: Project Principal Investigator
Start date : As Soon As Possible
Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa) is a partner in the Master Card Foundation Leaders in Teaching initiative. As part of this initiative CMU-Africa is working with the Rwanda
Ministry of Education (MINEDUC) and UNICEF to strengthen a teacher management and information system (TMIS). An effective TMIS is a critical tool for providing MINEDUC with accurate and relevant information to inform its policy decisions, particularly in the area of teacher management. The goal is to understand how best to harness existing information system resources to vastly improve the quality, relevance, and timeliness of education data management processes and the quality of TMIS implementation so as to have a direct impact on improving equity and learning in the education system in Rwanda at the national and local levels.
CMU-Africa will leverage its software systems and data science expertise to provide technical support in the development of an approach to integrating education management information systems and in supporting program research and learning. CMU-Africa will: map international TMIS best practices; explore opportunities to apply ‘Big Data’ and Artificial Intelligence to planning and management in the education sector and; pilot an innovative approach to predictive analysis in the public sector. These activities are part of a larger CMU-Africa initiative in education technology including CMU-Africa’s partnership with the MCF Centre on Innovative Teaching and Learning in ICT.
The program manager’s role is to oversee CMU-Africa’s contribution to the TMIS project and to the MCF Centre on Innovative Teaching and Learning in ICT. The program manager will provide both technical and managerial support. On the managerial side they will liaise with the project sponsor: Attend project meetings, prepare periodic project reports, oversee project finances, and be the sponsor’s single point of contact with CMU-Africa. Internally, they will oversee the CMUAfrica project activities including hiring and managing student interns and subcontractors as well as the work of faculty who are participating in the project. On the technical side, the program manager will lead and contribute to the TMIS best practices report; participate in developing and show-casing the Big Data and AI demonstrations; and work with Leaders in Teaching partners and other stakeholders to identify and deploy high-impact pilots for using predictive analysis. The program manager will support the larger TMIS team in developing an integrated solution and selecting implementation sub-contractors. In addition, the project manager will support related education technology initiatives at CMU.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Liaise with the project sponsor.
• Oversee both projects’ finances.
• Prepare periodic reports for both projects.
• Oversee hiring of project related staff and subcontractors.
• Become familiar with education practices in Rwanda through both desk research and meeting with education stakeholders at all levels.
• Become familiar with education technology activities globally, in Africa, and in CMU.
• Lead and contribute to the TMIS international best practices research report
• Participate in developing and show-casing the big data and AI demonstrations.
• Work with Leaders in Teaching partners and other stakeholders to identify and deploy high impact pilots for using predictive analysis.
• Support the TMIS partners in developing an integrated solution and selecting implementation sub-contractors.
• Support related education-technology initiatives at CMU.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in managing international projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information systems, or similar.
• Experience with developing information systems.
• Highly proficient user of English.
• Flexible, adaptable and self-motivated, with a commitment to ongoing professional development.
• Experience working in the education sector.
• Experience with user centered design practices.
• Familiarity with big data, artificial intelligence, and statistics.
• Familiarity with education technology space.
• Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, information systems, or similar.
• Proficient in Kinyarwanda or French.
How to apply
Please submit your application
Apply at [email protected]