Job at Chemonics International: Technical Director (Deadline: 20 July 2017)
The USAID Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project in Rwanda seeks to recruit a Technical Director reporting to the Country Director or her designee.
The GHSC-PSM project is the primary vehicle through which USAID 1) procures and provides health commodities, 2) provides technical assistance to improve partner countries’ management of the supply chain, and 3) collaborates with key international stakeholders to support global health initiatives.
The Technical Director is responsible for assisting the Country Director with development and implementation of management systems and supervision of technical staff. S/He will provide oversight of all technical aspects of the project.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly supervise technical staff including Systems Strengthening, HIV, MCH/FP, Malaria, Procurement, M&E, and MIS teams.
- Support efforts to improve and strengthen in-country supply chain to ensure health products are available when needed and can get to where they are needed; bridge the gap between the Rwanda Ministry of Health and supply chain operators to improve core supply chain functions; improve visibility at all levels of the supply chain to strengthen accountability; and strengthen environments for commodity security through increased knowledge management and dissemination.
- Strengthen central level warehousing and distribution planning of capacity of central and regional levels to supervise lower level supply chain through regular supervision visits to lower levels, annual peer review meetings among supply chain actors, and regular reports to be shared with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide oversight for the conducting of assessments as necessary to understand storage capacity requirements at various levels in the supply chain.
- Ensure that national quantification reviews are completed for various health commodities.
- Provide the necessary oversight and technical guidance required to develop and implement modalities for tracking availability and movement of program commodities.
- Ensure that the technical team establishes partnerships to coordinate the distribution of health commodities from central warehouse to district levels.
- Ensures preparation and dissemination of regular stock status reports.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in pharmacy, procurement, supply chain or another relevant discipline preferred.
- Minimum ten years of supply chain management experience and international project management required, including strong skills in procurement/subcontracting, M&E systems, compliance, and financial management.
- Thorough knowledge of USAID funding and its contractual and reporting requirements required; experience managing USAID-funded health programs strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of distribution operating systems, logistics, and forecasting required.
- Strong leadership and motivational ability.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work with cooperating partners in implementing complex programs.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills.
- Experience using inventory tracking systems and information systems.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
Level of Effort and Location
This long-term position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda, with occasional local and international travel.
The Technical Director will report to the Country Director.
Applications should include a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, copy of academic qualifications, three professional references, telephone number, and email address.
Applications should be sent to the GHSC-PSM Country Director at email@example.com. Please mention “Technical Director Application” in the subject of your email. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted in relation to the subject. Deadline for applications: July 20, 2017 at 17:30.