Job at Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) : Agriculture Program Officer (Deadline: 15th 2017)
Agriculture Program Officer
Start date: October 15th, 2017
Stations: Kigali with 60% travels in country
In collaboration with the Government of Rwanda (GOR) and private partners, Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) is undertaking an initiative to reduce the incidence of chronic malnutrition, with a major focus on local production of nutrient-dense foods intended to complement breastfeeding among 6-24 months old children. This initiative will supported the establishment of a food processing facility that produce fortified blended foods for infants and young children, using locally produced maize and soybeans as main ingredients. CHAI is now working with the manufacturer to source quality raw materials from Rwanda.
In this context, CHAI’s Agriculture program will:
- Support AIF is building reliable sourcing mechanism for high-quality soy and maize for the local production of fortified blended food that will be used by the Government of Rwanda in a program aiming at eliminating stunting
- Substantially increase the productivity of smallholder farmers and lower post harvest losses
It is in line with above that AIF and CHAI are currently implementing an extension model aiming at providing technical support to smallholder farmers.
Summary of the position:
In order to achieve the program goals, CHAI is recruiting an Agriculture Program Officer who will be incharge of facilitating and closelymonitoring the implementation the agriculture extension services to farmers during the growing season.This will be done by organizing farmer leaders training and conducting supportive supervision to farmers. The Officer will regularly hold meetings with the CHAI extension team and various stakeholders such as the representative from the Ministry of Agriculture, thelocal government,AIF, CHAI and other program stakeholders to ensure the success of the program through a defined set of indicators.
The Officer will also have a strong focus on improving post-harvest operation efficiency in order to preserve grains quality.
Direct reporting lines:
The Agriculture Program Officerwill be reporting to the Agriculture Senior Program Coordinator.
He/She will be responsible for:
- Monitoring the execution agriculture extension workplan
- Conducting supportive supervision field visits to oversee and report on field activities
- Facilitate the extension team in managing the implementation of the Agriculture extension program work plan of a selected area
- Writing reports and disseminate them to the relevant stakeholders
- Facilitate the organization of trainings and workshop as required by the extension workplan
- Closely work with input suppliers for quality fertilizers, improved seeds and other inputs on time
- Support the Agriculture program leadership teamin preparing relevant advocacy materials
- Provide support in the organization and delivery of technical workshops, consultations, seminars and training session
- Provide recommendations and implement solutions to improve rolling out of the CHAI extension Program
- Participate and contribute effectively in project reflection/review sessions and produce related reports as required
- Build a post-harvest strategy relevant for the assigned programmatic area
- Support all activities related to planning, coordinating and supervising all logistics and activities of maize collection during the post-production period
- Executes all other duties as assigned by the management team
Qualifications and Competencies requirements:
The following qualifications and experience shall be required:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, food science or a relevant field
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience in the agriculture sector
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to supervise and monitor small-sized, low complexity project simultaneously
- Capacity to understand and influence the program environment, including goals and partner landscape
- Performs analytical and reporting tasks in support of project management
- Gathers, reviews and validates data / information while guaranteeing information integrity
- Provides strategic advice internally and externally
- Good at communicating concrete and abstract ideas verbally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with farmers groups in order to generate mindset and behavior change
- Self-motivation and attention to detail
- Ability to independently manage work stream and deliverables within a high-pressure environment while respecting strict deadlines
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest (maximum 1page) outlining how their background meets the requirements outlined above; CV (maximum 3pages);and the names of three references to:[email protected] with“ Rwanda: Nutrition Program Agriculture Program Officer” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is October 1st, 2017