Job at East African Community : Senior Standards officer – Metrology (Deadline: 21 July 2017)
Senior Standards Officer – Metrology
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, , Republic of South Sudan, the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
Organ / Institution: The Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Job Grade: P2
Job reports to: Principal Standards Officer
Ensure accuracy of measurements in the region to promote fair trade practices
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To undertake activities as provided for the functions of the Liaison Office of SQMT Department under section 5 of the EAC SQMT Act, 2006;
- Coordinate the activities of the Technical Sub Committee on Metrology(EAMET) of East African Standards Committee;
- Provide logistical support to the EASC in the design and management of Community projects for the implementation of metrology development programs
- Liaise with Partner States to ensure traceability of measurements in Partner States and the community (measurement inter-comparisons, publicizing calibration capabilities in the community);
- Coordinate the activities of EAMET among members and with Intra-Africa Metrology System (AFRIMET) and other regional metrology organisations, BIPM, OIML and other regional and International legal and scientific metrology bodies (Key international comparisons, CMC registration, membership of BIPM, OIML, CIPM MRA, accreditation etc);
- Liaise with other Directorates and functions of EAC to implement EAC legislation related to accuracy of measurements (axle load, safe drugs, industrial development etc);
- Coordinate the development, review and maintenance of East African legislations on Metrology.(follow up on metrology on metrology bill, metrology regulations, metrology related standards)
- Identify training needs and areas for capacity building in metrology and conformity assessment and develop plan for their implementation (training, competence building, infrastructure development in terms of equipment and labs)
- Prepare annual budgets and work plans for EAMET functions plus the Department of Internal Trade and the Trade Directorate;
- Follow up on implementation of Council decisions, EAMET programs, projects and prepare progress and annual reports;
- Undertake any other official duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the superiors from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
A Masters Degree in Physics, Engineering, or related fields. Additional knowledge in project planning will be an added advantage.Eight (8) years working in Metrology fields of Scientific, Industrial metrology and legal metrology, international comparisons of measurements, knowledge of the workings of AFRIMET, OIML BIPM, with minimum of 3 years at senior level working with a quality Institution or equivalent.
Experience working with National and International conformity assessment bodies will be mostly preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EAC economic integration process.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to influence multi-stakeholder processes;
- Excellent analytical skills particularly in interpreting, using, analyzing and presenting data and evidence.
- Good skills in Project proposal development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrable knowledge of metrology matters for the EAC Partner States.
EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once .
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21 July 2017.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
Friday, 21 July 2017 – 5:00pm