Job at Energy 4 Impact : SIR Agriculture specialist (Deadline:21 March 2018 )
Position: SIR Agriculture specialist
Reports to: Agriculture Project Technical manager
Energy 4 Impact is a UK charity seeking to reduce poverty in Africa through accelerated access to modern energy products and services. To do this we support the development of a broad range of micro and small businesses and project companies in the energy economy, by providing them with high-quality financial, technical and business management support services so that they can grow and deliver access to energy in off-grid areas.
In Rwanda, E4I has developed a new project called Solar Irrigation Project in Rwanda (SIR), funded by the Opec fund for International Development(OFID), which aims to improve Rwandese smallholder farmer livelihoods and improve the nation’s food security by enabling greater levels of adoption of small scale solar irrigation (SSSI). This project will create the conditions for the development of a sustained market to evolve – which in turn means our aim is to ensure all the actors (farmers, suppliers, lenders, government) have the capacity, and incentives, to fulfil their roles in the market on an ongoing basis. This programme will comprise of two project phases:
- Phase 1: Supporting 3,000 farmers over 24 months to gain access to the appropriate solar irrigation equipment, through an awareness-raising campaign including installation of 10 demonstration sites.
- Phase 2: Scaling up project to support an additional 10,000 farmers in 3 years.
The Agriculture specialist will work under the direct supervision of the Agriculture Project Technical Manager to support and assist him during the implementation phase of the Solar Irrigation in Rwanda Project, providing technical advice on appropriate agriculture practices, as well as on irrigation, farming and financing model/mechanisms that are appropriate to smallholders in Rwanda.
He/she will support the process of establishing partnerships with local NGOs, farmer cooperatives and government stakeholders, and will work closely with relevant actors in the agriculture value chain to ensure successful introduction of solar irrigation systems to the market and adoption by farmers in the selected parts of the country.
- Work with the local implementing partner to recruit, mobilise, and train farmers on good agriculture practices;
- Work with the relevant government department in the target areas to ensure alignment with their priorities, as well as to reach out to small farmer’s communities;
- Work closely with the local Implementing partner organisation to assist with farmer mobilisation during the initial set-up phase, and maintain buy-in during implementation phase;
- Conduct baseline assessment/farmer needs assessment to inform project design;
- Establish and maintain partnerships with other relevant stakeholders as appropriate such as other NGOS, farmer cooperatives, and private sector partners;
- Assisting the Project Technical Manager to produce an action plan and procurement process for the implementation phase.
- Participate in mainstreaming gender in activities to ensure women are among the target beneficiaries of the project;
- Support the Project Technical Manager in reviewing and updating project work plans to ensure timely implementation of the project activities;
- Support in developing a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) system to measure farm profitability and relevant business indicators of targeted farmers;
- Support identifying challenges and risks facing the implementation of the project and inform the Agriculture Project Technical Manager and Programme Manager accordingly to take actions;
- Ensuring the provision of quality agricultural data on a timely basis for internal project management, external programme reporting purposes and M&E;
- Support in the direct supervision of other field officers/agent when and if required.
Required skills and experience:
Master of Science Degree (MSc) in Crop Production/ Agriculture/ Agronomy with 1-3 Years of working experience or BSc in Crop Production/ Agriculture/ Horticulture / Agronomy with over 3 years of working experience.
Key technical skills and knowledge required:
- Knowledge of the Agriculture sector in Rwanda;
- Detailed knowledge of crop science / agronomy;
- Detailed knowledge of soil science and implementation of irrigation practices;
- Strong track record of training;
- Commercial farm management experience an advantage;
- Knowledge of smallholder farming systems;
- Strong presentation and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills;
- Good team-working skills;
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English; Knowledge of French an advantage.
Please apply to Info Rwanda [email protected] not later than 21st, March, 2018.
Energy 4 Impact is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.