European UnionJob at European Union : Project Officer (Deadline: 27 July 2018 )
Delegation of the European Union to Rwanda
The mandate of the EU Delegation to Rwanda is to represent the European Union in Rwanda and ensure the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation.
Plus, maintain and increase the visibility, awareness and understanding of the EU and its mission and values.
Furthermore, to supervise long-term programming of aid and the management of programmes and projects within the framework of EU external aid management and introduce Rwanda to European citizens.
Exciting Employment Opportunity with the European Delegation in Rwanda
Position: Project Officer
Duty Station: The Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Rwanda in Kigali
Reports to: Team leader, Economics and Governance section
Under the supervision of the Economics and Governance section and Team Leader, the Project Officer will be responsible for designing, implementing and monitoring EU programmes and projects in support of economic growth and job creation in Rwanda. In addition, the Project Officer will be expected to offer knowledge and support during consultations, advocacy and policy dialogue with key stakeholders, including government officials, development partner representatives, the financial and private sector as well as civil society on themes and issues relevant to his/her portfolio.
- Contribute to the analysis and, when the need presents itself, the formulation of government policy and programmes in areas relating to specific thematic areas such as trade and private sector development, technical and vocational education & training, research, innovation, communication technologies, and offer knowledge and support in the development of coherent EU in-country strategies to support job creation and economic growth;
- Offer knowledge and support to the undertaking of diagnostic studies, engage with private sector representatives and civil society, and use analytical/research sources to better inform EU programmes and policy dialogue on issues relating to job creation and economic growth;
- Ensure sound administration and management of EU projects and programmes in areas related to his/her portfolio;
- Offer knowledge and assistance in the design, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of relevant projects and programmes;
- Under the supervision of the Team Leader, engage in policy formulation and dialogue with relevant government officials in order to help shape and enhance policies and reforms in areas relating to his/her portfolio;
- Work within relevant Sector and Technical Working Groups (e.g. Private Sector Development SWG) euand Development Partner groups in areas relating to his/her portfolio in order to ensure effective operational coordination and cooperation, particularly among EU Member States;
- Provide advice and technical knowledge and support to colleagues in other teams and sections within the Delegation on issues relating to job creation and economic growth;
- Maintain effective dialogue and relationships with colleagues in EU Headquarters and timely contribute to internal communication and reporting, as required;
- Offer knowledge and support to activities aimed at increasing the visibility and understanding of the EU in Rwanda, as well as make recommendations / develop ideas on how to further optimize such visibility and understanding;
- Undertake other tasks in line with his/her competencies, as assigned by the Team Leader, and provide appropriate backstopping for absent colleagues.
Skill in Presenting and Communicating information
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly.
- Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence.
- Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback.
Skilled in Writing and Reporting
- Writes clearly, succinctly and correctly.
- Writes in a well-structured and logical way.
- Structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Skilled in Planning and Organising
- Sets clearly defined objectives.
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances.
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Supports colleagues and demonstrates flexibility when required
Good at following instructions and procedures
- Follows procedures and policies.
- Arrives punctually for work and meetings.
- Demonstrates commitment to the organization.
- Complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
Key qualifications and experience:
- University level Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Trade, Management Studies or a related area;
- At least 5-years working experience in the technical and financial management of projects;
- At least 2-years’ experience engaging with government officials in Rwanda on policy related issues at the national and/or local level;
- Previous experience/knowledge of public finances would be an advantage
- Demonstrated operational knowledge of and experience with relevant government institutions and policy formulation relating to trade and private sector development in Rwanda;
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Polite and, when relating to the jobholder’s key qualification, outspoken towards colleagues in the Delegation and the EU Institutions, as well as towards visitors and partners.
- Knowledge of the European Union development cooperation and European Development Fund (EDF) procedures, and experience working with a European Union Delegation or in projects funded by the European Union;
- Willingness to travel within Rwanda in order to participate in seminars, coordinating meetings or evaluation missions in the specific areas of, but not necessarily limited to Private Sector Development, and job creation & economic growth related matters, as well as other on the above areas of knowledge and support;
- Familiarity with the EU’s fundamental values;
- A double degree, preferably including one from an internationally recognized university will be a definite advantage;
- Experience in managing development programmes or working for a development agency, from the project/programme design to the audit phase (full project cycle);
- Operational knowledge of, and experience with relevant institutions and policy formulation relating to trade and private sector development; Technical and Vocational Education & Training (TVET); Learning and Skills development (L&S); research, innovation, and Information & Communication Technologies (ICT); financial services will be an advantage;
- Computer literacy enabling a quick adaptability to new software, including the software applications specific to the European Union;
Excellent command of English and French is required (C1), good knowledge of other languages is a plus (Kinyarwanda (B1) and Swahili in particular) both oral and written.
This position gives the candidate the opportunity to work in a recognized international organization with a favorable working environment and conditions. Plus, the opportunities to learn and work with high-level staff, regional authorities, development partners, private sector and civil society.
Please send your application and supporting documents to: [email protected].
E-mails that exceed 2MB will not be considered.
The package should clearly mention the job for which you apply ”Project Officer LA Jobs & Growth” and include a cover letter and a detailed CV, using the standard CV template found below:
CLOSING DATE IS 5 PM ON 27th July 2018
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.