Job at Heifer International : PASP Cluster Leader (Deadline: 26 October 2018)
PASP Cluster Leader
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
- Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The PASP Cluster Team Leader will be responsible for ensuring that project participants, self-help groups and dairy hubs have the knowledge and skills to develop and run successful dairy enterprises and cooperatives. The Cluster Team Leader will work in close collaboration and coordination with the Project Manager to ensure successful, innovative, efficient, and effective functioning of all dairy hubs. He/she will also work with cooperatives in the PASP Project through generation of information for decision making and coordination and supervision of field technical staff in his/her cluster.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Respect, accountability, Good stewardship, Credibility, excellence, analytical ability, Teachable, interpersonal skills and proactive, problem solving, humility, flexibility, enthusiasm, dependability, creativity and team player.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Program coordination and project implementation (60%)
- Provide support in exploring business opportunities along the dairy value chain and in preparing business plans for cooperatives and individual farmers/families.
- Build innovation in business development for smallholder farmers, cooperatives, etc., to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Facilitate SHGs in the formation of cooperatives and support in the registration process.
- Seek continued growth in the knowledge of Heifer International programs and issues of hunger and poverty.
- Coordinate activities under on project cluster and lead a project team in the same cluster through participatory planning, monitoring and reporting as appropriate.
- Design and track the implementation of the team work plans in the cluster for review and update as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the PASP Manager and technical experts to design/develop/update training packages/modules, business plan models and training materials for relevant departments as needed.
- In coordination with the PASP Manager, identify institutions, experts and trainers to implement trainings for capacity development of project partners, cooperatives and farmers according to the enterprise development promotion strategy.
- Coordinate the dairy value chain studies (Baseline, GIM surveys, Evaluations) as required.
- Provide support in establishing and operating market structures (e.g., milk collection centers, milk market centers, dairy processing facilities, BDS providers etc.)
- In collaboration with the Project Manager, develop the business hubs of the cooperatives with backward and forward linkages into the total value chain.
- Develop capacity building and operationalization of the dairy business and marketing plans of the business hubs through joint planning, monitoring, and evaluation with the project team.
- Participate in the organization and implementation of enterprise development related Training of Trainers for project partners, cooperatives and project farmers.
Provide support in establishing marketing information systems among value chain actors (30%)
- Provide support in establishing marketing information systems among value chain actors.
- Prepare periodic reports and document best practices and lessons learned.
- Facilitate and monitor pre-cooperative\producer association orientation activities in the self-help groups (SHGs) and clusters of SHGs as they develop into cooperatives/producer associations and unions.
- Coordinate and build up linkages and networks with the appropriate government Cooperative Office and other organizations, as required.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned (10%)
- Any other job-related tasks assigned by the line manager or Country Director
- Required Experience
- Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in the fields of agricultural economics, dairy technology, social sciences, agribusiness, or a related field is required, plus two (2) years of related experience, and at least five (5) years’ experience in fields related to agro-enterprise development (specifically dairy enterprises) and cooperative development.
- Master’s degree in the fields of agricultural economics, dairy technology, social sciences, agribusiness, or a related field is required, plus five (5) years’ working experience in the agro-enterprise development (specifically dairy enterprises) and cooperative development.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions, manage knowledge, measure progress, plan and innovate within the industry.
- Demonstrate experience in conducting business, investments analyses and capital budgeting and sufficient evidence on how the results were used to develop potentially viable business ideas and subsequently tangible businesses.
- Demonstrate report writing experience.
- Demonstrate experience in project management including donor project budgets management.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of and experience in agro-enterprise, dairy value-chain and cooperative development.
- Knowledge of and experience with or within community organizations.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English or French, both spoken and written.
- Good leadership qualities.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including strong attention to detail.
- Skills with Microsoft Office Suite, internet browser, and other appropriate technology.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Produce and present reports in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Constant sitting, standing and walking, with occasional bending and lifting; may work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude with the ability to demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively locally.
- Job Location
- Kigali, Kigali, Rwanda
- Position Type