Job at IOM Kigali, Rwanda : Airport & Movements Assistant Operations (Deadline: 01 April 2018)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Airport & Movements Assistant Operations (resettlement) Department IOM Kigali, Rwanda
Position Title : Airport & Movements Assistant
Organizational Unit : Operations (resettlement) Department
Duty Station : IOM Kigali, Rwanda
Classification Type: General Service Staff, Grade G4 (UN salary Scale for GS
Type of Appointment : Special fixed term, nine (9) months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : April 1, 2018
Reference Code : VN2018/10 – RW
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and under the direct supervision of the Operations Officer, the incumbent will assist in implementing the refugee resettlement operations and activities at Kigali International Airport as well as perform clerical and administrative tasks related to Movement/Airport Support
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Arrange for the transport of cases traveling to or from camps or within Kigali for medicals or operational reasons (departures, RSC CO, RSC & CIS Circuit Rides): travel documents, manifests, bus tickets, cash (DSA) requests etc.
- Ensure the safe arrival of migrants from refugee camps, safe stay at the transit centres in Kigali, and liaise with the Operations Officer, Medical Officer and Senior Operations Assistant in case of any unusual occurrence at the Transit Centre
- Act as a focal point for any hired on-call Transit Clerk to assist in cases of high numbers
- Liaise with the Migration Health Department to ensure follow up medical procedures are completed before cases return to the camps.
- Transmit IOM Travel Documents from IOM office to the airport for the migrants departing, or transiting to other destinations as applicable.
- Monitor Operational email correspondence to ensure that all IOM beneficiary movement needs through Kigali International Airport is attended to as per SOPs.
- Arrange for USRAP Promissory Notes and Canadian Warrants to be signed prior to departure from Kigali International Airport.
- Liaise with airlines regarding pre-check-in procedures for IOM groups, and ensures scanned copies of travel documents/transportation letters are transmitted to the airline concerned in a timely manner.
- Check airline tickets in a timely manner and verify travel documents and migrants’ identities prior to check-in.
- Arrange check-in of the migrants departing, assisting with bags (tagging & weighing), providing ID verification, leading departing migrants through customs and immigration.
- Ensure that relevant airport services are accessed for cases with special needs; including medical and unaccompanied minors.
- Liaise with airlines, immigration, airport authorities on procedures for IOM passengers.
- Arrange for snacks and/or meals and accommodation as necessary for all IOM passengers in case of delay with departure.
- Immediately inform Senior Operations Assistants/Operations Officer of any flight changes, cancellations for further guidance.
- Confirm departures to Operations Assistants, and provide bag count for transmitting the data to the IOM mission receiving passengers.
- Assist IOM AVRR transiting, arriving or departing at Kigali International Airport by arranging for accommodations and onward transport as necessary.
- Greet/welcome beneficiaries upon arrival at Kigali International Airport,
orientates/assists them through security, luggage checks, check in, immigration and departure.
- Liaise with Kigali Airports Authority, Immigration Officials and airline focal points within Kigali International Airport to ensure that beneficiaries are able to depart without incident or delay.
- Prepare purchase requisition forms and payment request for movement related expenses such as bus hiring, transit centre facilities hire etc. and follow up their payment with finance
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Social Science, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience, preferably in operational aspects of the said fields; or
- Diploma in IATA (international Air Transport Association) or in travel and transport related fields with four years of relevant professional experience and/or Completed High School degree from an accredited institution, with four years of relevant professional experience preferably in operational aspects of the said fields.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies’ especially those involved in movements such as Resettlement Support Centre (RSC), IOM, UNHCR, airport authorities, airlines etc. would be an advantage.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads and tight timelines.
- Willing to accept flexible work schedule.
- Attentive to details and accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Fast learner and can work with minimum supervision.
- Strong communication, negotiation and problem-solving skills.
Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda is required. Knowledge of French and Swahili is an added advantage
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Appointment will be subject to certification by the Organization’s (IOM’s) Medical Officer, based on medical examination(s), that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the Government of Rwanda, where applicable.
This application is open to all Rwandese citizen and any other foreign national as long as such an applicant has a right of residence and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application (IOM will not be responsible in securing such Visas or authorisations from the Government of Rwanda, any applicant of foreign nationality must provide authentic certification from Government of Rwanda in regards to right of residency and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application).
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] by April 1,2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the Position title and reference code.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé (CV) highlighting the required education and experience
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 19.03.2018 to 01.04.2018