Job at IOM Kigali, Rwanda : Executive Assistant (Deadline: 1 April 2018 )
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Executive Assistant
Organizational Unit : Resource Management Department
Duty Station : IOM Kigali, Rwanda
Classification Type: General Service Staff, Grade G5 (UN salary Scale for GS
Type of Appointment : Special fixed term, nine (9) months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : April 1, 2018
Reference Code : VN2018/08 – RW
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer and overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the Executive Assistant will perform administrative functions in support of the office of the Chief of Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform a wide variety of executive secretarial and administrative duties with a high degree of confidentiality and tact;
- Receive and coordinate correspondence drafted for the COM’s signature;
- Organizing COM’s appointments, work plan, meeting agendas as requested;
- Keeping up to date contact details of high levels officials from Government, Embassies, other UN agencies and International Organization and Regional Economic Commissions (REC)
- Facilitating the organization of national and international meetings, conferences and visits, including travel and hotel arrangements, as well as the itinerary of IOM visitors for the COM’s office;
- Liaising with relevant units to obtain briefs, background information and documents and any other related materials for different meetings/events as needed;
- Review the briefs to verify comprehensiveness of information, obtain additional input from focal points as required;
- Issuing and recording reference numbers of all correspondence from COM’s office;
- Taking minutes of meetings, including staff meetings;
- Recording, filing and distributing minutes of meetings and Note for File (NFF) ;
- Facilitate Visa application process for international staff and keep an updated record of their visas and working permits;
- Welcome and help visitors and usher them as required;
- Receive, register and distribute all correspondence/mail coming I and out of the organization;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the management.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High School certificate/diploma from an accredited academic with five (5) years of relevant professional experience or,
- Bachelor Degree in in Finance or Business Administration, Social Sciences or related fields with 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work;
- Good administrative skills and knowledge;
- Accuracy in filing, reporting and data/information management;
- Ability to read between lines (keen eye for details), understand and apply written instructions and guidelines; interpret instructions and resolve work;
- Experience in working with IOM is an asset;
- Experience in working with the Government of Rwanda is an asset;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda is required. Knowledge of French and Swahili is an added advantage
- Accountability — takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation — works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning — promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication — listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative — actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation — develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management — identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork — contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Appointment will be subject to certification by the Organization’s (IOM’s) Medical Officer, based on medical examination(s), that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the Government of Rwanda, where applicable.
This application is open to all Rwandese citizen and any other foreign national as long as such an applicant has a right of residence and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application (IOM will not be responsible in securing such Visas or authorisations from the Government of Rwanda, any applicant of foreign nationality must provide authentic certification from Government of Rwanda in regard to right of residency and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application).
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the Position title and reference code.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé (CV) highlighting the required education and experience
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 19.03.2018 to 01.04.2018