Job at Kepler karongi : Kepler Kiziba Campus Director
About Generation Rwanda/Kepler
- The challenge: All across sub-Saharan Africa, millions of young people struggle every day with access to education and employment and the kinds of livelihoods that lead to economic security and mobility for themselves and their families. Every young person deserves the chance to be educated; every young person deserves the opportunity to have a meaningful job.
- Who we are: Kepler is a nonprofit university program that is building a transformative model of education-to-employment services for young people across the region. Our ultimate goal is to contribute to the economic mobility of thousands of individuals, families and communities in all of our countries of operation. We want to reimagine what higher education can look like in sub-Saharan Africa.
- What we do: Through a rigorous curriculum of in-person, online and on-the-job learning, Kepler students graduate with the relevant skills and the right attitude to meet the needs of the changing global economy. We partner closely with Southern New Hampshire University – a global leader in higher education – which allows our students to attain affordable, internationally recognized degrees while studying in East Africa.
- Our history: Kepler launched in Rwanda in 2013. Our 50+ staff currently serve 550 students across two campuses in Rwanda our flagship campus in Kigali, as well as a second campus in the Kiziba refugee camp in Western Rwanda, where we serve refugee learners.
- The future: Kepler has an ambitious new strategy for the next five years, which will include launching in two new countries; expanding our academic offerings; partnering with other public and private sector universities; and reaching a new level of organizational sustainability.
About the Position:
The Kepler Kiziba campus was established in 2015 to offer high quality higher education to promising students in Kiziba Refugee Camp. The unique setting also places the campus as a learning laboratory, where innovative solutions to academic and logistical challenges are continually being tested, refined, documented, and shared.
Kepler is looking for a leader for its Kiziba campus to oversee campus operations, the creation and delivery of educational programs, and external partnerships. The Campus Director will report to the Director of Refugee Education Programs.
The Campus Director will oversee an academic and operations team and ensure the quality of the student learning experience in and outside of the classroom. This campus leader works directly with other members of the staff to provide a high quality learning journey for every Kepler student by overseeing the development and quality of the academic program, student support systems, campus infrastructure, safety and security, and partnerships.
*This position will likely start between October 2018 and January 2019 (flexible) and is located in Karongi, Rwanda with daily travel to Kiziba Refugee Camp. The role also entails periodic local and international travel.
- Provide overall academic and operations leadership and management for the Kepler Kiziba campus, to ensure delivery of a high quality educational experience and meet the Kiziba campus academic goals
- Recruit, manage, and develop Kepler Kiziba staff and volunteers through performance management, professional development, and coaching/modeling
- Coordinate external visitors
- Collaborate with the Kepler Careers Director to meet the Kiziba campus internship and employment goals
- Collaborate with the Kepler data team to manage, evaluate, and share student and program data and identify and implement changes based on student data
- Model and support best teaching practices
- Oversee student culture, community/academic events and programming, including the Student Government Association, student services, student discipline and work study programs
- Oversee all operational activities on the campus, including facilities, technology and finance, safety and security, with the support of the Kiziba Operations Manager & Kigali Ops team
- Collaborate with the Admissions Manager to meet the admissions needs of the campus
- Liaise and advise Kepler management staff on the learnings and programs and continually push for innovation in the spirit of Kiziba as a learning laboratory
- Work directly with external academic and operational partners, including UN and government agencies, to coordinate resources and programs at Kepler Kiziba, including research initiatives
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements for specific donors and partners
- Create and oversee the annual campus budget
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree
- 5+ years of professional experience
- Fluent English communication skills (electronic and in-person)
- Classroom teaching or school management experience
- Highly flexible and able to adapt quickly to changes
- Demonstrated personnel management, leadership, and external partnership skills
- Strong technology skills (Microsoft Suite, Google suite, internet research)
- Masters degree
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda
- Experience in a refugee camp setting
- Experience in operations or facilities management
- Passionate about innovation in education
Reports to: Director of Refugee Education Programs