Job at LOCAL ADMINISTRATIVE ENTITIES DEVELOPMENT AGENCY : Social Protection Environmental Safeguards Specialist ( Deadline :23 August 2018 )
The Environmental Safeguarding Specialist will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
• Oversee all the environmental safeguarding aspects of project activities implemented under the Social Protection IPF;
• Lead the development of guidelines/manuals and training materials for local governments to support implementation of the ESMF and Resettlement Policy Framework.
• Ensure that public works guidelines and manuals comply with environmental policies, practices and legislation and keeping up to date with regulations/ policies of the Government of Rwanda ( GOR) and relevant safeguard policies of World Bank and the ESMF;
• Together with the Social Safeguards Specialist and the Public Works Specialists in Social Protection Division, disseminate the IPF project’s ESMF to ensure that local governments are aware of the project impacts and mitigation measures during the implementation phase.
• Monitor if environmental aspects are taken into account during activities planning, budgeting and implementation as per World Bank and Government of Rwanda Standards.
• Support the environmental screening of the project and sub projects and activities, and help to prepare project/sub project or activity specific Environmental & Social Management Plans (ESMPs).
• Review the project and activity plan, design, cost, and bid documents to ensure environmental factors and mitigations are incorporated, and subproject/activity documents and environmental documents are in harmony.
• Provide guidance and coach districts in identifying projects which comply with the ESMF and RPF categorized as B projects.
• Conduct analysis of technical feasibility of subprojects during subproject review process, with particular emphasis on environmental issues;
• Provide technical support to local governments in the procurement and implementation Environmental and Social Impact Assessments as required
• Support the Social Protection Division to respond to the technical support requests from the Districts, private operators, and other beneficiaries of the subprojects and take necessary actions;
• Deliver formal and on
– job training/coaching to LODA and local government staff on environmental safeguarding policies and procedures
• Ensure a satisfactory implementation of the ESMF and subproject specific ESMPs through frequent visits to project sites;
• Facilitate external environmental audits if required;
• Communicate with vendors, contractors, and subcontractors for necessary environmental compliance;
• Support the preparation of quarterly progress reports
• Carry out any other significant duties assigned by higher competent authority of the institution.
• Support engagement across national level Government departments and between national and local levels of government on issues related to social and environmental safeguarding;
• Oversee the establishment and implementation of a robust M&E framework for safeguarding aspects of the IPF and other development partner
– funded projects;
• Support the implementation of recommendations from internal and external assessments related to management of environmental risks;
• Support the SPIU SP Coordinator to manage safeguarding risks associated with IPF implementation, ensuring that risks are identified and mitigation is effectively and promptly applied;
• Support the implementation of formal reviews and evaluations
• Support the documentation of successes, challenges and lessons
– learnt in VUP/IPF implementation
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with safeguarding experts working within international development partners, serving as the key technical point of contact on issues related to the environmental safeguarding within the World Bank IPF in particular.
• At least a bachelor degree in Environmental Sciences, water and sanitation, agronomy, rural development with at least 7 years of professional experience working in environmental sector experience or a Master’s Degree in the same fields with at least 5 years of professional experience working in environmental sector.
• Experience of World Bank IPF safeguarding requirements is an added advantage
• Excellent understanding of Rwanda’s environmental safeguarding legislation, policies, regulations and practices
• Experience of working on large
– scale community infrastructure programmes is desirable
• Understanding of Rwanda’s decentralised governance framework Rwanda;
• Excellent team working and communication skills
• Experience of developing and delivering training to Government officers;
• IT literate, excellent skills in Excel and Word
• Strongly results oriented and able to manage a complex and multi
– faceted workload
• Fluency in Kinyarwanda/English, French is an added advantage.