Job at One Acre Fund: BURUNDI NUTRITION ASSOCIATE
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
By 2020, One Acre Fund expects to have one million or more households in our product distribution and training network, including roughly five million children. With this growth, we are seeing the ability to influence the adoption of life-improving products at a meaningful scale. Working through this network to affect nutrition and health outcomes is emerging as an increasingly large impact priority. Our program has already demonstrated statistically significant reductions in reported hunger, but we want to take this work to the next level, through a comprehensive nutrition and health program that improves key outcomes like childhood stunting in our farmer population.
Our large, high-touch smallholder farmer network is an ideal setting for deeper investments in health and nutrition. The Nutrition Associate will manage a slate of in-country trials and trainings.
- Manage on-the-ground design, implementation, and monitoring of nutrition projects in a One Acre Fund country of operation. For example:
- Run a trial that measures the impact of providing a comprehensive high-touch suite of health, nutrition, and WASH services to a sub-set of 1,000+ farmers, including nutrient-enriched crop and fertilizer varieties, micronutrient supplements, improved livestock, etc. With success, scale this trial rapidly.
- Manage a trial that provides live hybrid chicken delivery to adopting farmers, including supply chain, quality assurance, marketing and adoption, and measuring impact.
- Closely support the Government Relations department to ensure compliance with donor and government protocols in all One Acre Fund countries, and participate as needed in key regional and national-level government meetings as a technical expert.
- Build and develop in-country leads and implementation teams. Every trial we run works through dozens or hundreds of field-based staff of varying levels of experience and technical expertise. This role presents a unique chance to develop those individuals and initiative concrete, on-the-ground projects through real people. As our nutrition portfolio grows, you will be in a position to manage a small army of practical field implementers, collectively touching hundreds of thousands of smallholder farmers.
- Coordinate with our M&E team to manage end-to-end studies of nutrition impact, meeting all ethical and client protection standards, to evaluate the effect on nutrition initiatives and guide further investment.
Note that this role will work closely with our existing in-country Product Innovations teams, which are responsible for running trials of new products and services within the One Acre Fund farmer network. Our nutrition work will draw on the resources of this existing team.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 3+ years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development and nutrition/health/WASH. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Experience implementing on-the-ground, impactful programs (preferably in the public health / nutrition space) at scale. Examples include running a nutrition-related RCT, a large-scale WASH campaign in a developing country, or an exceptionally high-quality Peace Corps / VSO program.
- Strong background in public health, including 3+ years’ experience in the sector and an MPH or equivalent advanced degree, with a strong understanding of health systems, and experience providing nutrition technical assistance to governments or other organizations preferred.
- Fluency with nutrition global health trends, including innovations in maternal and child health, health systems strengthening, and community health workers preferred.
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role. The ideal candidate will have at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world, although this is not a strict requirement.
- Language: English and French required. Kirundi preferred.
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, housing.
Sponsor International Candidates
East African Nationals are encouraged to apply.