Job at Plan International : Senior Nutrition Officer (Deadline: 05 July 2017)
Senior Nutrition Officer Vacant
Department & Location
The Nutrition Project Manager
Purpose: How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission?
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian not for profit organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination and its girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
A full time Senior Nutrition officerwill be required to oversee the coordination and supervision of all nutrition education sensitive interventions within WFP funded project in Mahama refugee camp. The incumbent also will ensure the integration of nutrition-sensitive interventions with other project interventions such as saving groups with some knowledge in livelihood in emergency. The position will be based in Kirehe District and will require in-Kigali travel.
Dimensions of Role:
- The position manages all staff within the nutrition team in Mahama refugee camp;
- The Senior Nutrition Officer provides technical leadership for interventions that improve the nutritional status of female, adolescent boys and girls refugee children under 5 in the six selected refugee camps in Rwanda by 2018;
- S/he oversees a total budget of more than $ 300, 000.
- Member of Rwanda Refugee project support team.
Typical Responsibilities – Key End Results of Position:
“What” is done and “why”, but not “how”; include indicators for success
Coordinate overall management of the nutrition related component of the project
- Provide technical leadership for interventions that improve the nutritional status of female, adolescentboys and girls refugee children under 5 in Mahama refugee camp in Rwanda by 2018
- Ensure that Nutrition Education project interventions are integrated with other humanitarian components; ensuring intervention quality and gender integration
- Supervise and mentor staff within the nutrition team
- Develop strategic approaches and oversee and ensure coordination of the implementation of nutrition-sensitive behavior change interventions.
- Supervise all technical specialists within his/her assigned team
- Liaise with donor office and relevant stakeholders in Mahama refugee camp
- Ensure and coordinate the development and implementation of project detailed implementation and procurement plans
- Develop quality evidence based quarterly progress reports in a timely manner
- Serve as the technical lead for planning and implementation of nutrition-related assessments and monitor activities and systems for the project, ensuring strong coordination with other program components
- In collaboration with other key project personnel, ensure the scientific and technical quality, as well as the appropriateness of all of the project’s nutrition-sensitive activities
Dealing with Problems:
Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required solving themrequired to solve them
- The position involves some degree of complexity in terms of taking decisions such as appropriate or innovative strategies in promoting partnership management. Even though the incumbent duties are checked by his/her supervisor, an error of judgment in developing strategy or incorrect analysis of a specific situation could compromise the integrity and reputation of the organization.
- Therefore, the post holder will demonstrate the ability to solve problems, thinking strategically while introducing new initiatives or strategy, and in communication and facilitation to meet the demands of a dynamic and sometimes unpredictable operating environment.
- The post holder work in collaboration with other program staff in building comprehensive activities with Mahama camp leadership. This will encompass strengthening planning, management, adherence to policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results, both short and long term. The post holder however does not have financial approval authorization.
Communications and Working Relationships:
Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Reports to the Project Manager;
- Work closely with the nutrition coordinator in terms of programming and coordination of interventions;
- Work with other Program Staff as well as the Heads of Programs and the Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Support technical capacity building of project partners;
- Work with the communication person for media purpose and publication of nutrition work;
- Liaise with external stakeholders involved in the project and the project team
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, public health, or other related field
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the design, implementation and management of health and nutrition programs in humanitarian or development settings;
- Grounded experience in leadership roles in nutrition, social and behavior change, strategic planning, activity execution, and capacity building
- Demonstrated experience in planning, designing, and implementing integrated community-level nutrition activities to improve the community and individuals’ quality of life; experience within livelihoods and agribusiness-nutrition linkages programs preferred
- Demonstrated experience of developing effective working relationships with senior stakeholders from government agencies, international organizations and donors at national level
- Excellent communication skills and strong inter-personal and supervisory skills, including the demonstrated ability to lead teams of technical staff
- Ability to work independently and with team members and partners at all levels
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to think and plan strategically
- Strong work experience with local and international partners in Rwanda, including both private and public partners
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda
- Rwandan female nationals strongly encouraged to apply
Values and Behaviours:
1. We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
2. We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
3. We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organization by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
4. We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organization, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
Physical Environment and Demands:
- The position is based at the field office (Kirehe) which is a typical office environment
- It requires travel to the Country office, which may account for up to 20% of working time.
Level of Contact with Children:
- The position involves high interaction with children