Job at Rwanda standards Boards: Building Materials Laboratories Officer (Deadline: 20 September 2017)
Job: Building Materials Laboratories Officer
Organization: RWANDA STANDARDS BOARD
Reports to: Director of Materials Laboratories Unit
No. of Positions 1
A. Being responsible for accurate and quick performance of analytical work assigned;
1. Receiving and ensuring proper storage of test samples, chemicals, materials and reagents;
2. Prepare and standardize solutions, materials and reagents used in laboratory analyses;
3. Carrying out tests, interpreting results and learning to spot obvious errors, identifying their source and rectifying;
4. Calculating uncertainties of measurement especially in cases of marginal test results
5. Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports;
6. Participating in the development of new test methods in liaison with the Lead officer.
B. Taking care of laboratory equipment
1. Maintain inventory of laboratories equipment;
2. Maintain the assigned equipment using the manufacturer’s instruction or the applicable work instruction;
3. Observe safety regulations;
4. Establish a maintenance plan and request for its implementation.
C. Assuring quality of test results
1. Documentation of laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and submit them for approval;
2. Planning and requesting for prompt and correct calibration of equipment and instruments under their care;
3. Participate in quality control programs and prepare statistical reports;
4. Implementing and participating in review of the laboratory quality system.
D. Procurement planning and acceptance of supplies
1. Give recommendation on equipment, chemicals and reagents required for testing including designing simple modifications and fixtures to facilitate performance of tests;
2. Preparation of proposal of technical specification of equipment spares parts and laboratory consumables for purchase;
3. Participation in evaluation of new equipment after commissioning
4. Maintaining inventories of laboratory supplies.
E. Participating in Technical committees meetings
1. Participating in the relevant technical committees in standards development as a resource person;
2. Providing expert testimony to the legal department in court cases involving testing issues;
3. Training of students on attachment and ensuring their supervision at all times.
A0 in Civil Engineering, Chemical engineering or Mechanical engineering
Key technical skills and knowledge required:
- Good understanding and knowledge in Civil Engineering, Chemical engineering, industrial engineering;
- Excellent communication, organisation and interpersonal skills;
- Analytical and problem solving skills;
- Leadership and management skills;
- High analytic thinker;
- Initiative skills;
- Systems analysis & evaluation skills;
- Proven computer skills,
- Team work and Collaboration;
- Time Management;
- Interpersonal skills
- Collaboration and team working skills;
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda, English and/ or French; knowledge of all is an advantage.