Job at Smart Africa : Project manager in charge of broadband and Internet infrastructure development initiatives (Deadline: November 30th, 2018 )
Project Manager in charge of broadband and Internet infrastructure development initiatives.
SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government and a wide range of stakeholders including private sector, international non-Government organisations and academia to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in the power of ICT for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead the continent to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformation power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services as well as creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
The Smart aims to put ICT at the Center of National Socio-economic development agenda of member countries; improve access to ICT especially Broadband; to improve accountability, efficiency and openness through ICT promoting the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication; to put Private Sector first; and to leverage ICT to promote sustainable development.
The Smart Africa Secretariat would like to recruit a Project manager (PM) in charge broadband and Internet infrastructure development initiatives.
The PM will lead, coordinate and implement the projects above activities across Smart Africa Member States while ensuring effective linkages to the Smart Africa core objectives and activities.
The primary duties of the Project Manager will include:
- Preparing an annual national Work Plan for submission to the Executive Director.
- Planning, supervising and implementing Smart Africa projects/initiatives activities, providing proposals and plans (including work plans, procurement, consultancies, recruitment, logistics, budgeting and disbursements).
- Establishing close collaboration, working arrangements and partnerships with Governments, Private sector, Non-Government organisations, Academia and other professional associations, to ensure good coordination, collaboration and timely conduct of Smart Africa activities.
- Liaising with government and other key stakeholders to promote enabling ICT policy and regulatory environment that would facilitate the implementation of initiatives under his/her supervision;
- Following through mobilization of funds /resources from development partners and institutions to complete the financing of the Smart Africa projects, especially those under his/her supervision;
- Providing periodical reports on the progress of project activities and issues arising;
- Participating in regional project meetings and workshops and other activities as required;
Other responsibilities will include:
- Prepare the terms of reference of consultants/institutions that will undertake assignments in accordance with the approved annual Work Plan;
- Monitor and supervise the work of consultants, institutions, government staff and other partners, facilitate meetings and, as far as possible, ensure the timely and responsive delivery of outputs and reports;
- Provide to institutions/consultants visiting or engaged in assignments, including preparing itineraries, appointments and assisting with travel and other logistical arrangements;
- Any other assignments or projects, which will be assigned from time to time by the leadership of Smart Africa;
5. Key qualifications
- A Masters’ Degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering, Business in IT, project management with at least 3 years of recognisable Project Management expertise
- A bachelor degree in any of the field above with at least 5 years of recognisable project management expertise.
- A Project Management Certification from a recognized International Project Management Certification Body such as the Project Management Institute (PMI), will be an added advantage.
General experience and skills:
- Strong management skills including ability to provide strategic guidance, technical oversight, build strong teams, mentor staff, develop work plans, and manage budgets and project expenditures;
- Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels (Ministry, development partners, private sector, NGOs and Academia);
- Experience working with in project coordination;
- Demonstrated written, analytical, presentation, reporting and computing skills and familiarity with modern communication systems (internet, worldwide web, email, etc);
- Demonstrated experience with projects of same nature would constitute an added advantage;
- A good knowledge of matters related to ICT policy and regulation;
- Experience in creative writing;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Strong competence in the use of standard software productivity tools (such as Microsoft Office Suite or others).
- Excellent Knowledge and Fluency in French or English.
- The good working knowledge of another language will be advantage.
6. Duration of the assignment
The appointment will be for one (1) year. Subject to probation and performance assessment, the position might be extendable (renewable) as necessary, to reflect the ultimate completion date of the project and fund availability.
7. Reporting requirements
The Project Manager will report directly to the Head of Technology and Innovation of Smart Africa.
8. Other information.
Ideally, the candidate will be available to take the position from January 7th, 2019.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter by November 30th, 2018 at 5:00pm to the Director of Finance and Administration at [email protected] mentioning ‘’ Project manager in charge of broadband and Internet infrastructure development initiatives’’ In the subject of the email. Candidates are invited to mention their availability in the cover letter.
Given a large number of applications anticipated, only candidates selected for an interview will receive a response. Thank you for your understanding.
Information on Smart Africa can be found at http://www.smartafrica.org