Job at Smart Africa : Project Manager in charge of Transform Africa Summit (Deadline: 30 November 2018)
Project Manager in charge of the organization of the Transform Africa Summit
SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government and a wide range of stakeholders including private sector, international non-Government organisations and academia to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in the power of ICT for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead the continent to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformation power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services as well as creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
One of the major activities of the alliance is the organization of the Transform Africa Summit. The summit is the annual leading African forum that bring together global and regional leaders from government, business and international organizations to collaborate on new ways of shaping, accelerating and sustaining Africa’s on-going digital revolution.
The Smart Africa Secretariat would like to recruit a Project manager (PM) in charge of the Transform Africa Summit
The PM will lead, coordinate and implement the projects above activities of the Summit while ensuring effective linkages to the Smart Africa core objectives and activities.
The primary duties of the Project Manager will include:
- Manage and coordinate TAS 2019 activities by defining the project scope, goals and deliverables.
- Manage day-to-day project implementation and overall coordination of project outcomes.
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of the project
- Working closely with Vendors/ Event company
- Ensure effective communication and coordination between the event company and the Secretariat upper management.
- Provide direction and leadership in advocating the TAS objectives and ensuring that all interested parties are well informed about the project activities and goals.
- Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the Project.
- Ensure timely preparation and compilation of the Project Work Plans and Progress.
- Lead and supervise the team members
- Prepare monthly reports on key project activities, issues and required action points.
- Implement and manage change when necessary to meet project outputs
- Develop and Manage the budget.
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Perform any other assignments or projects, which will be assigned from time to time by the leadership of Smart Africa
5. Key qualifications
- Master degree or equivalent in Project Management or 5 years of relevant work experience in the field
- A Project Management Certification from a recognized International Project Management Certification Body such as the Project Management Institute (PMI), will be an added advantage.
General experience and skills:
Knowledge of the issues in the relevant area
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Excellent decision-making and leadership capabilities
- Contract negotiation
- Ability to motivate people
- Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and reports
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Excellent Knowledge and Fluency in English. Knowledge of French is an asset
6. Duration of the assignment
The appointment will be for one (1) year. Subject to probation and performance assessment, the position might be extendable (renewable) as necessary, to reflect the ultimate completion date of the project and fund availability.
7. Reporting requirements
The Project Manager will report directly to the Head of Communications.
8. Other information.
Ideally, the candidate will be available to take the position from January 7th, 2019. A.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter by November 30th, 2018at 5:00pm EST to the Director of Finance and Administration at [email protected] mentioning ‘’Project Manager in charge of Transform Africa Summit’’ in the subject of the email. Candidates are invited to mention their availability in the cover letter.
Given a large number of applications anticipated, only candidates selected for an interview will receive a response. Thank you for your understanding.