Job at SNV : Chief of Party
- Kigali, Rwanda
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in 26 developing nations in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, providing innovative solutions in Agriculture, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, and Renewable Energy. SNV works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV USA is the organization’s United States-based 501(c)(3) affiliate connecting North American partners to SNV’s implementation capacity around the world. SNV works to empower people to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development through market-driven development innovations.
SNV currently seeking experienced Chief of Party for USAID-funded Rwanda Rural Sanitation Activity called Isuku Iwacu in is Kinyarwanda word that refers to ‘hygiene in our area’. Isuku Iwacu project implementation started in September 2, 2016 to November 9, 2020. SNV is the prime implementing agency in a consortium of Water for people and World Vision. The objectives of the project include working with the Government of Rwanda to improve access to, and encourage correct and consistent use of, household sanitation and hygiene facilities in order to decrease childhood stunting. The project will utilize private-sector-driven household sanitation and hygiene interventions and incorporate capacity building at the district and national levels.
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide overall leadership, management, and general technical direction for the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among diverse components and actors, to achieve the desired results. The COP will be responsible for strategic oversight of the project, overall activities of sub-recipients, and leading program-focused strategic planning and decision-making. The COP will be the project’s institutional liaison, and will lead efforts to collaborate and coordinate with other USAID/Rwanda projects, other donor and NGO-sponsored activities, and the Government of Rwanda.
Primary responsibilities will also include efficient management of financial resources, including the review and approval of program budgets and monitoring expenditures; supervision of field operations, administration, logistics and procurement; management, delivery, and monitoring of sub-grants; supervision of program monitoring, evaluation, and reporting; and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required by the grant and donors. He/she will ensure full compliance with all USAID, SNV USA, SNV, and other fiduciary regulations and will oversee project reporting processes in line with donor requirements.
Candidates must be seasoned WASH-sector professional and possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, with progressively increasing responsibilities and duties, in fields related to the successful implementation of projects, including WASH technical assistance, local governance, private sector capacity building for improvement of WASH services, and/or behavior change communications
- Ten (10) or more years of experience as a Chief of Party (COP) or similar senior management position for projects of a similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries.
- Master’s degree or higher in hydraulic or environmental engineering, public health, business administration, governance, or other related field of study
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with USAID, host government, civil society partners and personnel, bilateral and multilateral donors and implementers of complementary programs.
- Proven leadership in overall project management and a strong track record of meeting targets and deadlines for a project of similar scope and size.
- Proven experience as a past COP or in a leadership position involving the administration of similarly sized, international donor supported programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting
- Proven ability to communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the agreement
- Proven success managing a multi‐million dollar USAID-funded contract or grant.
- Thorough understanding of USAID policies and procedures.
- Fluency in English required
- Previous experience as a USAID Chief of Party, preferably in Rwanda or Sub-Saharan Africa, is preferred
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills, and demonstrated ability to hold staff accountable for their performance
- Demonstrated organizational skills and a strong track record in meeting deliverables and deadlines
- Extensive experience in Rwanda (local candidates strongly encouraged to apply)
- Ability to interact regularly and professionally with senior host-government counterparts on policy and other strategic planning issues