Job at The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences : Director – MasterCard Foundation Programs (Deadline: 16 March 2018 )
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and outreach in mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a pan-African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
Each AIMS centre provides an intensive and broad education to over 50 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Director – MasterCard Foundation Programs
The AIMS-NEI – MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program currently in its third year, is a five-year program with a funding of US $25 million. The program in partnership with the MasterCard Foundation (MCF), will increase the number of African Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) scholars, particularly women, leading to technological innovations that can address development challenges and drive wealth creation in Africa. The MCF Scholars Program is a ten-year, $500 million education initiative that will provide over 17,000 academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people from developing countries – particularly from Africa – with access to quality and relevant secondary and university education.
The Teacher Training Program (TTP) Rwanda due to commence in 2018, is a five-year blended (face-to-face and online) training program seeking to enhance the capacity of secondary school teachers (in-service and pre-service) in the teaching of mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics with the use of information technologies as a key component in teaching and learning. In partnership with the Government of Rwanda, the Rwanda education board (REB) and the University of Rwanda college of education (UR-CE), the program will equip teachers with skills, tools and resources to implement the competency-based curriculum (CBC) using the Mathematics and Sciences for Sub-Saharan Africa (MS4SSA) approach adopted from the World Bank.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Director, MCF Programs is accountable for providing leadership and effective coordination of all planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting for the foundations programs within the AIMS-NEI network. The Director will work independently and in consultation with various AIMS-NEI and MCF stakeholders to build an effective, performance-oriented team that will provide high-quality results and a return on investment for both AIMS-NEI and the MasterCard Foundation.
As a best in class international development practitioner, you will be relied on to inspire and guide a team of like-minded professionals, while working to build and leverage mutually effective relationships with MasterCard Foundation Scholars team along with a diverse network of colleagues across multiple geographic boundaries, cultures and functional portfolios.
In this pivotal role, you bring your enthusiasm, energy and your entrepreneurial spirit together with your strong creative instincts to explore and introduce new and different approaches to enhance and build sustainable programmatic solutions – all to ultimately influence the quality of STEM scholars in Africa.
This is a 3-year contract opportunity based at the Secretariat in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- Master’s degree in a field related to International Development, Project Management, Social Sciences or Education; PhD degree preferred
- Outstanding practitioner with a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in program and budget management
- A high degree of comfort in Results Based Management, M&E and reporting
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral in English; French, an asset
- Superior interpersonal, customer service and communication skills (verbal and written) to interact effectively with multi-cultural/racial/able students, staff and the public
- Experience in managing a multicultural team at a distance is critical; volunteer management/relations, an asset
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter who enjoys a dynamic work environment
- Strong creative instincts to develop new approaches and solutions to challenges with limited guidance and historical precedent
- Ability to make decisions and good judgement
- Prior experience and knowledge working with the MasterCard Foundation programs and grants is an asset
- Appreciation of training in gender equity and equality will be important
- A good understanding of and/or experience in the area of education and development in Africa, with a strong focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) education as an added advantage
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Internet applications (Dropbox, SharePoint, Skype, Gmail, etc.)
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: [email protected] (i.e. quote “Director MCFP” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until February 16, 2018.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.