Job at The East African Community : Senior Customs Officer – Legal and Compliance (Deadline: 21 July 2017)
Senior Customs Officer – Legal and Compliance
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, , Republic of South Sudan, the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
To support and assist the development and implementation of EAC Customs compliance programmes and review of customs laws to strengthen enforcement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake studies on Customs preventive services, investigation and enforcement in EAC.
- Coordinate the development, monitoring and implementation of the EAC Customs enforcement programs;
- Coordinate the harmonization of risk assessment framework applicable in the Partner States.
- Coordinate the development, review of regional guidelines and regulations on preventive measures, investigation on counterfeits and illicit trade;
- Facilitate the Trade Remedies Committee in the implementation of anti -dumping, countervailing measures and Rules of origin disputes as per the EAC Customs Management Act 2004.
- Initiate and identify areas for review in the Customs laws of the Community and work closely with CTCs office in the review of the respective laws;
- Assist in advising and providing legal, technical and administrative interpretations of the customs law of EAC to Partner States;
- Maintain a database on enforcement in the EAC;
- Initiate requirements and coordinate the training of customs officers on compliance and enforcement;
- Assist in the publication of the EAC gazette;
- Plan and implement enforcement and investigations operations for suppression of customs offences, ability to analyze information and data.
- Any other official duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
Master’ degree in Law. Enrolled to Practice Law in any of the Partner States
Must have 8 years relevant experience with three years being at a senior level preferably in customs related environment.
Skills and Competencies:
Knowledge of regional integration and trade policy issues in the Regional Integration. Should have demonstrable knowledge of customs and trade laws applicable in EAC. Practical skills in enforcement, investigations and preventive work. Analytical skills, communication skills, negotiation skills, research skills, good computer skills and meeting tight deadlines.
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once .
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21 July 2017.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
Friday, 21 July 2017 – 5:00pm