Job at The Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project (LVEMP II) : Accountant specialist (Deadline: 19 April 2017 )
ACCOUNTANT SPECIALIST FOR THE LAKE VICTORIA ENVIRONMENTAL
MANAGEMENT PROJECT PHASE TWO (LVEMP II) AND LANDSCARE
APPROACH TO FOREST RESTORATION AND CONSERVATION (LAFREC)
The Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project (LVEMP II) is a Regional Project funded by the World Bank and implemented in the 5 EAC Countries namely; Uganda, Kenya, Burundi and Rwanda.
The LVEMP II development objectives are: (i) the improvement of the collaborative management of the trans-boundary natural resources of the LVB among the partner States; and (ii) the improvement of environmental management of targeted pollution hotspots and selected degraded sub-catchments for the benefit of communities who depend on the natural resources of LVB.
LAFREC is another World Bank funded project and will be implemented in Gishwati-Mukura Forest Reserves / National Park. The project development and the global environmental objective is to demonstrate landscape management for enhanced environmental services and climate resilience in one priority landscape.
An Accountant Specialist will be recruited on a competitive basis to support and strengthen the two projects’ financial management function over the implementation period.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The main objective of this assignment is to recruit an Accountant Specialist to manage LIVEMP II and LAFREC funds.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The Accountant Specialist is expected to:
- Ensure that the financial transactions are properly authorized, recorded, have adequate supporting documentation and can easily be extracted for the purpose of preparing financial statements;
- Prepare and process payments, manage cash flows and carry out bank reconciliations;
- Ensure that adequate financial controls are in place to maintain propriety and proper accountability of expenditures;
- Maintain and ensure the safe custody of accounting registers and value documents;
- Coordinate the annual financial audits carried out by the office of the Auditor General as well as any financial reviews carried out by Internal Auditors and Development Partners;
- Keep up to date all the accounting records of the project from book keeping to trial balance;
- Prepare and submit for approval to the Director of Finance and Administration of the Single Project Implementation Unit(SPIU) timely and reliable financial statements, budgets, financial Projections, each flow forecasts and allother projects reports as requested by IDA, and Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and Project stakeholders;
- Post transactions in the accounting system, correctly and accurately, ensuring that transactions are entered into the system in a timely and proper manner and that update accounting records are kept, which are essential for the generation of reports, and capability to produce the project financial monitoring reports;
- Prepare the Withdrawal application and submit them through client connection on a monthly basis;
- In collaboration with the field Environmentalist, ensure that funds transferred at District level are utilized and the financial reports are submitted to REMA on quarterly basis.
- Ensure that the Districts prepare statements of expenditure and submit them on time to ensure that all the requisite information is up to date
- Prepare monthly and report to MINECOFIN and the World Bank (Interim Financial report) and make sure they are submitted within the set deadline;
- Provide full back-up, be fully familiar and participate in the activities of the two projects in areas, including preparation of financial and status reports, maintaining financial management system, preparation of documents for payment, books and records Keeping etc;
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned from time by the LVEMP II and LAFREC Sector Specialists, SPIU Coordinator or DAF of SPIU
- EXPECTED OUTPUTS
The Accountant Specialist is responsible for all accounting aspects of the project as follows:
- Regularly kept and updated accounts as well as fully maintained registers, i.e: payment orders register, invoices register, petty cash book, etc;
- Monthly bank reconciliation statements-prepared in a timely manner, i.e: by the 10th day of each month;
- Monthly and Quarterly financial statements as required by Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning in Rwanda (MINECOFIN);
- Quarterly IFRs for the World Bank, and financial statements to fulfill reporting needs of other Development Partners and Key Stakeholders;
- Monthly submission of Withdrawal application through client connection.
- Annual financial statements ready for audit;
- Timely quarterly financial reports submission by Districts
- Collaboration with LVEMP and LAFREC Sector Specialists inorder to ensure project’s assets inventory;
- Monthly, quarterly and annual cash flow projections;
- Any other outputs required by the SPIU Coordinator and LVEMP II and LAFREC Sector Specialists.
The contract will be valid for one year renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
- REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
The Accountant Specialist will report to the Director of Finance and Administration in SIPU for the day to activities. Accountant Specialist
- JOB PROFILE
The minimum qualification and experience required for the Accountant Specialist is as follows;
- Bachelor’s degree in commerce (Accounting option), Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or economic related field;
- Professional accounting qualifications such as CPA, ACCA orequivalent (or part qualification with evidence of likelihood of full qualificationsoon);
- At least 5 years relevant continuous work experience in a busy finance department; Experience with World Bank Funded projects will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in preparation of financial reports,budget and budget variance analysis;
- Hands on experience with a multi-user accounting package including data capturing and extraction of management information and reports there form;
- High integrity, strong results orientation, drive for excellence and initiative;
- Fluency in English and French with working knowledge of the other language;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Excellent team playing abilities and having a keen client focus.
- EMPLOYE’S REPORTING OBLIGATIONS
The Accountant Specialist shall deliver the following outputs:
- Regularly kept and updated accounts;
- Quarterly and Monthly cash flow statements;
- Quarterly and monthly budget execution report;
- Quarterly and monthly bank reconciliation statements;
- Annual accounts statements ready for audit;
- Quarterly un-audited interim financial statements
Applications should include:
- A detailed curriculum vitae containing full personal details (birth date, gender, nationality, marital status, home address, and full contact numbers); qualifications and experience relevant for the position, previous and currentappointments;
- Available references from at least three recent employers and/or supervisors;
- Copies of academic qualifications;
- Indication of possible starting date if successful.
- Service testimonial
All applications to be clearly market “LVEMP II and LAFREC Accountant Specialist” and addressed to:
The Director General, REMA
P.O Box 7436 Kacyiru Kigali;
Further enquiries to the Email: email@example.com
Closing date: 19th April, 2017. Late application will not be considered;
Done at Kigali, on 06 AVR 2017
Eng. Coletha U RUHAMYA