JOB AT UNAIDS : COMMUNITY SUPPORT ADVISER, RWANDA : ( Deadline : 21 May 2019 )
Vacancy No.: UNAIDS/19/FT24
Title: Community Support Adviser, Rwanda
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: 2 years
Date: 23 April 2019
Application Deadline: 21 May 2019
Organization unit: AI/RSJ Regional Support Team, East and South Africa (AI/RSJ)
Duty station: Kigali Rwanda
MANDATE OF THE DEPARTMENT:
Provide leadership and coordinate support for an expanded UN system response to support countries towards ending the AIDS epidemic as part of the Sustainable Development Goals. To promote, support and provide guidance to national partners and the UN system in reaching Global AIDS targets by 2020 with a Fast-Track approach to rapidly scale up HIV services focused on populations and in locations most affected by the epidemic. Promote effective use of strategic information and documentation of trends on the epidemic and the response as well as provide intellectual leadership on the status of the response to HIV in the country.
Main tasks and Responsibilities of the Position:
Under the supervision of the UNAIDS Country Director, and working in close collaboration with the Department of Community Support, the incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities:
– Advise on, stimulate and foster engagement and coordination among civil society organizations in country level decision making mechanisms, supporting the leadership of people living with HIV, young people, women and key populations.
– Together with the team and other partners, work towards maximizing the potential of grant opportunities and bilateral aid available at national level to broker aligned, harmonized resources to address community priorities and resources for civil society organizations and communities, including for community systems strengthening.
– Build strategic alliances with civil society and communities to support tracking and monitoring government accountability for attainment of the 2016 Political Declaration and UNAIDS 2016-2021 Strategy targets, and the 2030 Agenda, including resources made available to different stakeholder groups in the governmental and non-governmental sectors.
– Support and strengthen alliances between HIV related civil society organisations and other social justice movements at regional and country level, including those relating to human rights, sexual and reproductive health and rights, women’s rights, access to justice, among others.
– Share information, guidance and tools to country partners and civil society organizations; support demand creation for the inclusion in national AIDS plans of programmatic interventions addressing the integration of community responses, as well human rights and gender equality and diversity as they impact on prevention, treatment, care and support, with emphasis on reduction of discrimination, including in the health sector, stigma and punitive approaches to HIV and achieving scale and efficiency.
– Stay abreast of current/hot issues and tensions; provide UNAIDS leadership with strategic information and analysis, as well as provide support to communities during human rights crises.
– Provide technical input to social protection policies and programmes to ensure that they are HIV sensitive.
– Provide support to the Joint UN Team on AIDS and other partners to promote collaborative synergies for sustained and consistent support to networks and organizations for effective advocacy and inclusion of community priorities in the joint work planning.
– All other related duties as assigned.
Advanced university degree in social science, public health, policy, human rights or international development. For internal candidates, a first university degree and 7 years of relevant work experience will be considered as equivalent.
Specialization in one of the above fields complemented by degree or studies in international relations, business/public administration or political or other social science.
1. Commitment to the AIDS response
3. Respect for diversity
1.Working in teams
2.Communicating with impact
4.Driving change and innovation
1.Exercising sound judgement
2.Building relationships and Networks
3.Developing and empowering others
At least 5 years of professional experience at national and/or global/regional level, complemented by experience in at least one of the areas of communities led responses, human rights and gender equality based programs, policy analysis, international affairs, political and strategic planning. Broad experience in working with and mobilizing a range of external partners.
Experience in working with the UN system or other multilateral organizations. Experience working with key population networks.
Advanced knowledge of English.
Knowledge of another UN official language.
Please note that for this vacancy only nationals of Rwanda and legal residents holding a valid residence or work permit are eligible.
A valid passport will be required.
Furthermore, only online applications will be accepted.
Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
38760 in thousands of Rwandan francs at single rate
Applicants will be required to take a test. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for an interview.
Applications from people living with HIV are particularly welcome. Applications from women and from nationals of non- and under-represented member states are particularly encouraged.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to the Staff Regulations and Rules of the World Health Organization (WHO) adjusted, as necessary, to take into account the particular operational needs of UNAIDS, and any subsequent amendments.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.