Job at Unilever : Estate & Agronomy Manager – Nyaruguru (Job Number: 1800061J) (Deadline: 23 May 2018)
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
To provide leadership in field agriculture to ensure the production of Green Leaf according to the Company and Factory plans and within company’s quality and safety standards. Role has responsibility for effective management/performance of hectares of Tea Green Leaf Estate and ensure the Estate is managed to highest agricultural standards. In addition, the role is responsible for leading and developing the Out-Grower and Smallholder farmer projects through sustainable and good agricultural practices in their farms.
- Harvest the maximum potential crop from the estate and ensure proper field management.
- Manage harvesting intervals or rounds as per good agricultural practice and standard.
- Control weeds and grasses by balancing both manual and use of chemical at minimum costs.
- Carry out fertilizer application using agreed rates (as per guidelines from R&D) and ensure even distribution in every field.
- Ensure the correct soil conservation methods are carried out and that the steep banks are managed well.
- Provide leadership to develop the out-grower and smallholder farmer projects
- Liaise with external agencies, donor partners and key government stakeholders in fund sourcing to develop and expand Out Grower (OG) projects
- Responsible for delivering Rain Forest Alliance certification of all OGs and SMFs
- Prepare capital, revenue and supplementary budgets (8qtr) as required.
- Develop Estate machinery maintenance plan/schedule and ensure provision of sufficient resources for full implementation.
- Responsible for proper management of buildings, including housing villages, social hall and recreational facilities.
- Implement the SHE policies in the Estate and ensure all PPEs and other safety equipment are fully serviceable.
- Formulate action points and put into operation the Unilever SHE framework standards.
- Conduct risk assessments, behavioural safety audits and estate inspections.
- Check and approve SHE returns to include overtime statements (job-wise and individual), accidents returns and personnel numbers for the calculation of accident frequency rates.
- Bachelor of Science Agriculture or Agronomy
- 8 years’ experience in Tea Estate management
- Female Candidates especially encouraged to apply
- Agricultural Skills
- Agricultural Performance control
- Project Management
- Quality Assurance
- Asset Care and Management
- 3rd party client management