Job at United National World Food Programme: Finance Assistant G5 (63402) (Deadline: 07 September 2017)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To support effective delivery of finance, budget and administration support services in order to facilitate transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Assist in providing the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
2. Monitor monthly expenditure forecasts and provide expenditure reports in order to facilitate informed decision-making.
3. Monitor the sub-imprest bank and petty cash accounts regularly, to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed.
4. Verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations.
5. Assist in compiling information from various sources in order to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance and statistics.
6. Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions.
7. Perform administrative duties related to the monitoring and recording of fixed assets, spend on fuel and spare parts for vehicles and generators, to ensure that the databases are accurately updated.
8. Maintain the web-based register for all invoices and payment transfers and record paperwork, to ensure that all documents are maintained and filed in compliance with WFP standards and guidelines.
9. Monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner.
10. Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other support staff, to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Internal Controls & Compliance
||Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to WFP’s critical activities.
|Performance Budgeting, Analysis & Reporting
||Demonstrates participation in business planning efforts by developing basic project-level budgets and forecasts, incorporating information from various sources as appropriate to monitor KPIs.
||Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and resource usage on a project-level basis.
|Financial Mgmt. & Accounting Principles
||Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures and accounting standards.
|Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge
||Demonstrates basic understanding of WFP programme, implementation, and supply chain principles (including project modalities & structures).
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Essentiel:Completion of secondary school education.
Desirable :A post-secondary certificate or degree in Finance and Banking, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics or related fields.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written French or English, and a working knowledge of the other. Fluency in Kinyarwanda will be an added value.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- At least five years of progressively responsible work experience in the field of finance, accounting, budget, audit or other related field.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates. Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
7 September 2017