Job at VVOB – education for development in Rwanda : Accountant (Deadline: 14 December 2018)
VVOB – education for development in Rwanda is recruiting
VVOB, The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a Belgian non-profit organisation that focuses on improving the quality of education.
In cooperation with Rwanda Education Board (REB), the University of Rwanda – College of Education (URCE) and affiliated Teacher Training Colleges (TTC), VVOB started in 2017 with a new multi-year programme on Leading, Teaching and Learning Together (2017-2021). The cooperation programme aims to improve the quality of primary education through improvement of the professional development of school leaders and induction of new teachers. VVOB is currently expanding this programme in Secondary Education.
At the same time, VVOB explores other opportunities for strengthening their support to the Rwandan Government.
In this context, VVOB is currently looking for an accountant to ensure the implementation of a high-quality accounting system at the VVOB country office. The accountant works in close coordination with two Finance officers and (S)he reports directly to the Operations and Finance Manager (OFM).
The accountant acts as a quality caretaker and a role model. S/he is pro active, takes actions and initiatives whenever necessary to ensure the implementation of a high-quality accounting system at the VVOB country office.
In cooperation with the Operations and Finance Manger, the Accountant:
- develops accounting services and processes to support sound financial management and responsive servicing in alignment with VVOB Rwanda’s different donor requirements;
- Analyzes specific accounting issues related to financial execution of VVOB Rwanda’s programmes;
- Prepares monthly reports that indicate budgeted costs and actual costs and provides timely advice to programme management that will inform programme execution;
- Prepares accounts for annual audits and provides support and relevant documentation to external and internal auditors.
In cooperation with the Finance Officers, the Accountant:
- Undertakes proper (timely, correct) accounting according to VVOB and donor rules and regulations;
- Ensures timely collection of good quality accounting documentation according to the latest financial guidelines;
- Records all financial transactions and their supporting documentation in Navision on a daily basis;
- Processes Bank and Cash reconciliations;
- Checks inventory registers (fixed assets).
The Accountant performs any other duties assigned by supervisors in line with the position holder’s capacities.
Knowledge and experience:
- Master’s degree in accounting or business management or equivalent through experience;
- At least three years of relevant work experience in accounting, more specifically in double bookkeeping and familiar with multi-user accounting software. Knowledge of NAVISION is definitely a plus;
- Full professional accounting qualification such as CPA or ACCA;
- Demonstrated experience in preparation of financial reports and financial analysis;
- Experience with advising and supporting others in accounting related issues is an advantage;
- Working experience in an international (NGO) environment is an asset.
Nationality: Rwandan Citizen
- Fluent in English, with excellent writing and editing skills
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda
- Fluent in French (additional asset)
- VVOB core competences:
- Result orientation
- Continuous improvement
- Function specific competences
- Progress control
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
- A dynamic working environment in an international context;
- An exciting job with varied responsibilities;
- Professional development opportunities;
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
- Conducts equity and gender analysis for the current programme and new programmes / projects;
- Develops and implements, in consultation with colleagues and partners, equity and gender strategies and action plans for the current programme and new programmes / projects;
- Develops tools and methodologies to further mainstream and monitor equity and gender aspects of the programme;
- Supports and reviews the development of educational materials on all equity and gender related aspects;
- Supports and reviews the development of proposals on all equity and gender related aspects;
- Contributes to internal and external communication, amongst others by writing success stories about equity and gender in education;
- Serves as the gender focal point for Rwanda:
- Represents VVOB in relevant gender working groups and other coordination mechanisms and platforms (related to education) within Rwanda and the region;
- Provides input and technical advice to VVOB organizational wide equity and gender issues and facilitates knowledge management and exchange of best practices on equity and gender within VVOB.
As a quality caretaker and role model, the equity and gender advisor contribute to the quality assurance, including planning, monitoring and evaluation of the programme in order to realize educational change processes supported by the programme. Therefore, the equity and gender advisor:
- Develops tools and methodologies to further mainstream equity and gender aspects of the programme;
- Is responsible for monitoring, evaluating and reporting on all equity and gender related aspects of the activities, outputs, outcomes and impact;
- Organizes and facilitates training activities and other capacity development trajectories for colleagues and partners, to develop their capacities in equity and gender, particularly in education;
- Ensures coherence of the programme with VVOB’s definition of quality education and VVOB’s education portfolio, including gender, environment and equity;
- Ensures compliance with VVOB’s financial policies and guidelines including adherence with accounting and procurement principles and requirements. This involves also the promotion of efficient and responsible use of resources;
- Keep abreast with policy trends, new developments and latest research and thinking in equity and gender in education and international development by external and internal networking and sharing new insights with partners and VVOB colleagues.
Electronic applications will be only considered. Submit a motivation letter and your C.V addressed to the Program Manager at Recruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday 14th of December 2018 at 5PM.