Job at World Vision international Rwanda: Chief Executive Officer, VisionFund Rwanda (Deadline: 12 January 2018)
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- Lead VisionFund Rwanda, a Christ centered Microfinance Institution (MFI) organisation that positively impacts the lives of many families and children through the delivery of appropriate financial services and training.
- Create a self-sustaining business with strong foundations (people, process, systems) that is capable of growing while managing risks.
- Manage an effective and efficient operation, delivering to challenging financial and social performance targets.
- Work closely with World Vision Rwanda to develop integrated livelihoods programs, and thereby obtain funding from the partnership and donors to grow the operation.
- Finally to deal with all regulatory issues and lead the organisation through the process of conversion into regulated deposit taking institution in the near future.
To ensure that the vision, mission, purpose, goals, objectives and outputs set by VisionFund International (VFI) and approved by the Board are fully implemented, complied with and met:
- Develops, monitors and implements short and long term business plan.
- Develops key performance indicators as per VFI and Board guidelines.
- Ensure that the plans are cascaded to implementation groups and staff.
- Reports plan compliance regularly.
- Prepare monthly reports as required.
- Negotiates effectively with creditors, grant bodies and other financial institutions.
- Ensure compliance with conditions.
- Timely and quality reporting.
- Diligently manage and close grants and related projects.
- Follow up with open grant audit issues.
- Financial Management:
- Ensures that annual financial projections, reports and budget are prepared for the board on time.
- Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages VF MFI’s resources within those budget guidelines.
- Ensures that effective and efficient financial management system is installed and maintained.
- MFI is profitable or on track to be.
- Ensures that all loans are prudently disbursed.
- When licensed, ensures savings products are effectively priced and delivered (subject to MFI).
- Ensures that effective internal control and risk management system is established and maintained.
- Ensures effective liquidity management.
- Ensure effective banking and financial systems are in place and are regularly updated.
- Effective Integration with WV and Effective Promotion of Organization Relations: Integration strategies are fully understood, communicated and practiced.
- Actively promote joint livelihoods projects with World Vision.
- Ensures that both VFI and VF MFI and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image.
- Develops networks and strategic alliances to positively influence the economic policies.
Policy Formulation and Implementation:
- Formulates and implements guidelines, procedures, internal regulations that are consistent with the policies set forth by the Board of Directors, VFI and the industry regulators.
- Ensures that the institution complies with the requirements of the Central Bank other regulators and all VFI policies.
- Prepares the MFI policies for new regulations.
- People Leadership & Culture: Provide effective Christ centered leadership and drive the right organizational culture.
- Approves and confirms staff appointment, promotion, demotion, termination and transfer.
- Embedding of People & Culture policies & procedures.
- Ensure recruitment of competent senior and middle management.
- Ensures effective staff development, succession planning and performance management systems are in place at all levels.
- Compliance to Regulations: Ensures that the institution complies with each of the requirements of the Central Bank and other regulators.
- Lead the process of conversion into regulated deposit taking institution when the times come.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Attend and lead daily devotions.
- The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Minimum a Masters degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Management or some other related field.
- Must have at least ten (10) years of work experience in senior management in a combination of the following: micro-enterprise lending organization, banking institution, a progressive corporate environment, international business, or economic and business development institution.
- Must have a clear understanding of micro finance industry and technology.
- Must have worked experience in regulatory environment and better with institution that intermediate savings.
- Determined personality with initiative, perseverance and the ability to motivate and manage a team.
- Capability and willingness to lead the organization forward.
- Ready to comply and live up to and in accordance with the organization Ideals and Core Values.
- Be a good trainer, facilitator, mentor and coach.
- Very good communication and marketing skills.
- Very good knowledge in economic and financial topics.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Office environment: typical office based and frequent travel to fields (30% traveling and 70% office based).
- Travel: 25-30% -visiting branch offices in-country. Occasional international travel.
- On call: Yes, outside normal working hours.