3 Positions of Agronomists at Agriterra: (Deadline 7 October 2020)
Piloting a new farmer-led business model in the Ngoma maize value chain
Vacancy for ambitious and knowledgeable professionals with a passion for rural development
We are Agriterra, a Dutch agri-agency that provides business development services to ambitious cooperatives and farmer organizations in developing and emerging economies. We assist them with advice and training by locally based business advisors and by deploying practitioners from the Dutch and international farmer organizations and (cooperative) companies; the so-called Agripool experts. We apply a three-track approach: we make cooperatives bankable and create real farmer-led companies, we improve extension services to farmer members, and we enhance farmer-government dialogues. Our advisory practice covers the full range of services on Management & Organisation, Financial Management, Governance, Business Development, and Lobby & Advocacy.
Agriterra works from local offices in a large number of countries. We work with self-steering teams, so our employees are challenged to use every bit of determination, creativity, and strategy to achieve our compelling goals. Being a self-steering organization makes Agriterra an inspiring and challenging environment for professional growth and development.
Agriterra has an annual turnover of approximately 15 million euros, is ISO certified, and has over 160 employees, both in the Netherlands and abroad. For more information, visit our website www.agriterra.org.
For a new and innovative initiative in the Rwandan maize and soybean value chains, specifically in Ngoma district, Agriterra Rwanda is looking for:
Location: Ngoma district, Eastern province
As an agronomist, you will be working on a consultancy contract under Agriterra Rwanda, stationed at a maize cooperative in Ngoma district. Together with a selection of maize cooperatives, Agriterra is setting up an innovative business model, based on the principles of economies of scale, competitive advantage creation through the injection of knowledge and collective action. We aim to strengthen the bargaining power of smallholder maize farmers and their cooperatives, by creating a new market-oriented initiative of service provision and aggregation. As agronomist, you will be responsible for the provision of state-of-the-art extension services about good agricultural practices to the members of the selected cooperatives in Ngoma district. You will advise farmers and monitor and record their production and motivate them to reach the highest yields possible. Your attention will improve their yields and economic position and will increase their commitment to their cooperative and the new initiative. You will be a representative of Agriterra in the rural areas, at the same time as representing the cooperative and the new business model. You will be committed to increasing the yields and the aggregated produce on a cooperative level while working in a team with two other agronomists and a manager. As a professional, you will be able to balance the interests of the cooperative you are dedicated to with the interests of the collective action initiative and Agriterra. At harvesting time and during the post-harvest handling you ensure that appropriate practices are applied, aligned with the requests from the selected off-taker. You will base your daily advisory services on your profound knowledge of two key maize sourcing principles: the grain model and the cob model. In addition to providing agronomic services to maize farmers, you will provide your services to soy producers as well.
- Proximity coaching of farmers on the application of good agricultural practices (GAP) and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in maize and soybean production
- Proximity coaching of farmers on the application of post-harvest handling practices in maize and soybean value chains
- Establishment of farmer field school (FFS) at the cooperatives and monitoring the implementation
- Collect information on the demand of inputs and assist in their supply and distribution process
- Ensure proper data recording and sharing
- Facilitate the deliveries to the contracted buyers
- Ensure good communication with local government
- To carry out other tasks as assigned by Agriterra Rwanda
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports to Agriterra Rwanda/ OSC
- A0 in Agriculture science with at least 2 years of working experience in a related field
- Valid driving license category A
- Knowledge of existing and innovative agronomic practices
- Demonstrable experience in the maize and/or soybean value chain
- Knowledge of the grain model and the cob model, related to maize aggregation
- A respectful and motivated attitude towards farmers and their organizations
- Good computer skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good interpersonal and writing skills in Kinyarwanda and French/English
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work in an innovative business model, with loyalty to farmers, cooperatives, the new business, and Agriterra
- Ability to work in Ngoma District.
Are you interested?
Are you interested in this position and do you fit the profile? Apply before the 7th October 2020 with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and academic certificate in one PDF file, by sending an e-mail to [email protected] to the attention of Mr. Jasper Spikker, Agriterra Rwanda Country representative, with reference code ATRW-8706. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.