Associate Field Officer at UNHCR Rwanda: (Deadline 29 July 2020)
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Identify vulnerable groups or individuals who may need special attention or special arrangements and make recommendations on the needs of different groups of refugees.
– Assess protection and assistance needs of refugees and asylum-seekers in the region and monitor implementation of refugee assistance programmes.
– In co-ordination with implementing partners, handle the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
– Provide inputs for project submissions and periodic narrative and financial reports for the annual programme.
– Develop and maintain relations with local authorities ensuring smooth negotiations in all aspects of UNHCR’s mandate for the benefit of refugees.
– Monitor the security situation in the area and intervene as appropriate with the local authorities.
– Submit recommendation for protection interventions to the designated officer.
– Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
– Approve expenditures within the DOAP.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Law, Political Sciences or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
UNHCR Protection Learning Programme.
UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme.
Relevant Job Experience
- Knowledge of refugee law.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR’s programmes.
LE-International Refugee Law
EX-Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations
The Associate Field Officer is normally supervised by the Snr Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office depending on the structure of the Office. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional programme(s). UNHCR Manual, programme and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the incumbent.
The incumbent may supervise some support staff. S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office. S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.