Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services
Business Development Specialist at Catholic Relief Services
As Business Development (BD) Specialist II you will lead the production of high quality applications for funding in support of CRS\u0027 engagement with institutional donors and initiatives involved in international development to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your knowledge and skills will allow you to provide specialized assistance in all dimensions of the BD cycle to cross-disciplines and cross-functional teams.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Provide BD expertise in positioning, capture planning and proposal preparation for specific opportunities with institutional donors (government and inter-governmental award issuing organizations, as well as foundations, corporations and other awarding non-governmental organizations).
- Coordinate high value proposal development processes for the EARO (30%) to ensure timely submission of high-quality proposals that are responsive to donor requirements, applicable regulations, and CRS\u0027 technical and cost standards. Lead and support proposal budget
processes and propose recommendations to develop a competitive proposal.
- As appropriate, serve as proposal coordinator or other lead role in proposal teams, and participate in bid analysis and proposal review panels. Serve as a lead or support writer on proposals, contributing both technical and non-technical content and integrating inputs from staff and partners into a responsive, coherent proposal with a compelling vision and clear win themes.
- Train and mentor staff, as needed, to improve their skills in proposal development, representation to donor and partner organizations, intelligence-gathering, and marketing within their country program or portfolio.
- Support and guide identification of partners and negotiation of CRS\u0027 role on proposal consortia, ensuring a competitive position for CRS that adheres to the agency\u0027s partnership principles and strategic directions. Research, track and analyze new opportunities and CRS\u0027 competitive position within the marketplace.
- Support senior management to cultivate and strengthen institutional relationships with institutional donors, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis of existing sectoral strategies and portfolios for relevant governments and donors, including the development of mapping and strategic guidance documents to inform country program business development and growth strategies and improve CRS Kenya/Somalia\u0027s competitive position in prioritized sectors, in alignment with Vision 2030.
- Work with appropriate staff to maintain data on past performance and corporate capacity, in order to provide timely information for proposal submissions.
- Work with the CRS Marketing and Communications (MarCom) Team to develop marketing and communication materials and activities to leverage results for increased positioning and funding in prioritized sectors.
- Maintain opportunity records in Gateway and prepare regular reports on the country program business development pipeline; assist with analysis of successes and failures and dissemination of lessons learned.
- Represent CRS Kenya/Somalia in the EARO BD community of practice.
- Bachelor\u0027s degree in international development, international relations, or related field. Master\u0027s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of international development experience, with at least three years of experience in a developing country.
- Exceptional writer with expert command of English grammar and AP style.
- Demonstrated experience leading and producing competitive proposals in programming contexts similar to CRS.
Required Languages – English
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships.
- Comprehensive familiarity with a broad range of institutional donor technical and cost requirements.
- Experience with both USAID RFP and RFA funding mechanisms highly desirable.
- Familiarity with relevant institutional donor regulations, policies, procedures and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams and processes, leading teams to produce deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
- Knowledge of CRS programs, justice agenda and Catholic Social Teaching principles a plus.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: None currently. In the future may include supervision of Interns and/or Fellows
Key Working Relationships:
Internal Country Representative, Country Manager, Head of Programming, Programming and Operations staff; Regional business development, technical assistance, and support staff; marketing and communications staff.
External Partner organizations, local government ministries, local NGOs, private sector entities, and other stakeholders as appropriate.
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
- **Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS\u0027 processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS\u0027 talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org