Communication Officer at Heifer International
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The position is responsible for establishing and managing relations with media, partners and government representatives within Kenya, including providing background information on Heifer Kenya Country Program, Hatching Hope Kenya Project (HHK) and supporting the documentation and dissemination outputs of the HHK Project. The position is the foremost in developing the strategies, communication products and employing print and electronic media to drive the achievement of the project’s objective around increasing awareness and education about poultry production and consumption that targets reaching 10,131,000 people.
In driving these outputs, the post works and coordinates intricately with the Cargill and Heifer communications staff including aligning both organizations branding and communications guidelines. The position will interact closely with Heifer Kenya Communications lead and be part of the Heifers Global Communications team.
The Communication Officer will facilitate media access and promotes HHK visibility through publicity events and workshops, leads the development of quality promotional materials for the HHK that include brochures, factsheets, annual reports and their printing and circulation in the press, print and electronic media to increase the exposure of the HHK. The position is also The Communications Officer also leads the documentation and dissemination of project lessons and ensure project experiences and impact will be shared with the relevant target communities, including policy makers, development practitioners and academics.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Analytical, pragmatic, self-motivated, attentive to details and team player
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Communication Planning and Product Development and Partnership (30 %)
- Design and develop communication strategy for the Hatching Hope Kenya project (HHK)
- Lead the design, development and quality control of all the projects communication products and materials.
- Develop and support the project leadership in implementing a commu nication networking strategy for the project.
- Collect and share program information including program background, successful stories and best practice with media and other stakeholders.
- Develop and nurture good working partnerships and linkages with NGOs, government agencies, local institutions including and other like-minded organizations to advance the mission of Heifer, Cargill and the project.
- HHK communication strategy in place and is reviewed and updated at least twice a year reflecting project communication priorities e, g project impact studies, Heifer 75-year anniversary, Cargill and project closure.
- Quality communications materials and products developed and available for the project team that conform to Heifer and Cargills branding guidelines.
- Annual, quarterly, and Monthly reports are produced in a most professional manner and submitted timely.
- Good working relationship and linkage is maintained with Government, media, NGO’S and other stakeholders.
Mass Media Campaign on Poultry Consumption and Nutrition targeting 10,013,000 people ( 40%)
- Develop an overall project mass media campaign and outreach strategy for the three years.
- Generate an annual plan of key project mass media activities, events and materials.
- Develop key messages and materials including radio, print and electric media materials on poultry production, nutrition and consumption.
- Coordinate and implement all the key mass media activities targeting producers, consumers, schools, feed distributors in the project.
- Develop and maintain good links with the media; organize media events, including the Launch of HHK at County level, press conferences and other engagements with the media;
- Mass Media and dissemination and outreach strategies developed and monitored quarterly with communication focal points of the HHK, Heifer and Cargill.
- Annual programme of communication activities including launch events, radio and television features, press releases, impact stories delivered for the HHK.
- Mass media campaign activities implemented, and reach monitored for all the project target audiences.
- Established and effective relationships with journalists, media outlets developed and maintained.
Communications Resources Development and Dissemination 20%
- Design, write, edit, produce and distribute simple and/or complex communication products (e.g. newsletters, progress reports, short note series, brochures, Web messages) about Heifer, Cargill and HHK activities.
- Develop and manage a partner and stakeholders dissemination and communication database.
- Carry out regular review and updating and management of all the IEC materials and tools.,
- Four quarterly newsletters/Snapshots , annual reports and project success stories are developed and distributed.
- Key Hatching Hope stakeholders are engaged with regular updates and circulation of key project promotional materials and publications.
- Project maintains adequate and relevant IEC material targeting its key stakeholders at all levels.
Project support 10%
- Facilitate capacity building program to program staff on communication parameters i.e. success story write-ups, Photography among others
- Support in gathering information for report as required
- Document and communicate project activities such as Stakeholder Workshops, Project Management Committee Meetings, Steering Committee Meetings, Launch Activities and Key Monitoring and Evaluation Events and Project Visits.
- Identify staff capacity development needs in communications biannually, and train them in use of communication equipment, writing skills, media relations etc.
- Periodically ensure that communication plans and activities are implemented on time and within budget.
- Maintain an up to date database of organizational information with clear filling system for safety and easy access (which may include the use of appropriate platform/software).
- Project activities and events are documented in a most accurate and professional manner.
- At least four success stories and best practices produced and disseminated.
Managing of Communication materials 10%
- Ensure responsive communication to Heifer, Cargill and other partners and stakeholders concerning Heifer’ events.
- Maintaining and updating communication and networking files
- Maintaining communication materials such as photographs, films (both soft and hard Copies) and recording materials such camera
- Strengthen Heifers branding and visibility with the government and development community
- Communication and information materials are well managed and remain in best quality at all times.
- Communication Assets are safeguarded and well managed.
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder database.
Support the documentation and organisation of learning and exchange processes 20%
- Oversee organisation learning field days and exchange visits between project and operational areas
- Publish project lessons learnt articles in relevant newspapers and journals.
- Document and disseminate project lessons learnt and experiences to key audiences.
- Organization and project beneficiaries are well conversant with the intervention in question.
- Job aid kits on various organization and project activities developed.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Carry out other duties that may be assigned to you in interest of Heifer International and Cargill.
- Bachelor’s in public Relations, Mass Communications, Development Studies or related field, plus at least three (3) years of related experience. Proven knowledge and experience in the field of PME and Social Behaviour Change Communications.
- Knowledge of agricultural development is essential
- Master’s degree in the similar field preferred with at least 5 years of practical working experience in communication and networking, knowledge of PME, agricultural development, Work experience in NGO world is an added advantage.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Good analytical skills and ability to verify information.
- Excellent qualities and management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, environment, natural resources management, climate change and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Ability to promote the vision and strategic goals of Heifer International and Cargill
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Conversant with Communication Soft wares for report, video and photo editing
- Strong organizational skills.
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English and Kiswahili oral and written
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling Heifer’s and Cargill’s values and ethical standards.
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Tanzania.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms) floor-to-waist.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com