Akagera Management Company
Akagera Management Company
Conservation and Research Assistant at Akagera Management Company: (Deadline 29 January 2021)
LOCAL JOB ADVERTISMENT
Akagera Management Company (AMC) is seeking a suitable candidate for the positions of Conservation and Research Assistant at Akagera National Park. The candidate must be a Rwandan, technically skilled with good problem-solving ability, must be enthusiastic, motivated, and a reliable individual.
Duties and Responsibilities of Conservation and Research Assistant
- Assist with carrying-out data collection to answer key ecological questions in and around ANP.
- Support collation of data received from various data collection efforts and other departments to make more efficient how data is used to inform management decisions.
- Ensure all reports are submitted timely and correctly. Compile and summarize/analyze data.
- Help improve on processes of field data collection, compilation, and generation of outputs to serve management decisions.
- Instill professionalism in other members of the department and any staff that is worked with. Always meet deadlines, uphold commitments, and support other staff members whenever possible.
- Participate in activities that promote understanding of ecology and instill pride in conservation in the communities through sharing of findings and contributing to educational programs.
- Documenting processes, as well as backing up and archiving data.
- Ensuring data storage is safe and secure.
- Assist and support the monitoring of key species and protection of wildlife.
- Assist in writing, formalizing, and implementing an array of management plans.
- Security of all company assets.
- Visually illustrate work carried out
Suitable candidates for position of Research and Conservation Assistant must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of undergraduate degree in ecology, park management, wildlife conservation, or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in ecology, conservation, wildlife management, or related research
- Experience of work in multiple protected areas or National Parks or conservation projects
- Fluent in English and/or French/Kinyarwanda
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and be flexible
- Computer literate, including Microsoft word, power point, Excel, and basic computer-based statistical packages and ArcGIS
- Experience with using camera traps, VHF telemetry, handheld GPS units, and other related conservation technologies
- Outstanding and demonstrated leadership skills
- Clean record of conduct (no convictions)
- Physically fit and able to be in field for extended periods (to undergo fitness and medical annually)
- Between 20 and 40 years of age. Ability to swim (Please note proof of swimming capacity will be tested)
- Vehicle and Motorcycle Driver’s license with at least 3-5 years of driving experience (Please note proof of Driver’s license will be expected)
NB Applications that are not meeting the above criteria will not be considered.
Interested candidates should forward their application letter together with all relevant documents to the email address provided below no later than 29th January 2021. The required documents should be submitted in scanned soft copies in pdf format (preferably as one document) on [email protected] Successful candidate will begin with an immediate effect.
Applications must include the following documents:
- Application cover letter addressed to the Park Manager
- Stating where you heard about the position and why you should be considered
- Curriculum vitae including your personal details, education level, and any experience
- Name, address and telephone numbers of three (3) references
- All the documents should be in one pdf document and named after your name and position, for example: Name, Akagera C&R, 2021.
Done in Akagera National Park on 18th January 2021