Consultant – Agricultural Finance Consultant at Mercy Corps
The NU-TEC Financial Services programme is a DFID funded blended finance facility for agriculture market system development in northern Uganda.
To implement the facility, Mercy Corps as the implementing partner of DFID is partnering with a commercial financial institution to establish a credit fund for lending to agribusinesses and agriculture projects that would otherwise be considered ‘too high a risk’ for commercial lending. The new portfolio of loans will aim to adopt innovative risk assessment and management strategies that incentivise financial institutions to adopt reduced borrowing requirements and make lending capital available to a wider segment of the market.
Purpose / Project Description:
The programme needs an experienced Agribusiness Consultant to be responsible for Business Development of the Agribusiness Lending Unit (ABLU) portfolio in Northern Uganda. The individual will grow the bank’s market position through development and execution of an agribusiness sales strategy to drive growth in the agribusiness portfolio and achieve laid down loan book value and quality targets.
Key Responsibilities will include:
• Main responsibility will be driving growth in agribusiness lending and value through identification and development of new commercial engagements that meet with the agribusiness strategic objectives
• Work with the Team Leader and Bank Management to develop business cases and proposals that will obtain approval for the delivery of new lending propositions and enhancements along various agriculture value chains.
• Work with other related departments to implement delivery of approved propositions across Northern Uganda.
• Support the various branches in allocated region on loan packaging and loan collection.
• Update and advise potential and existing clients on the bank’s agribusiness product features
• Support development of new and enhanced agribusiness products
• Support the program in identification and recruitment of climate smart agribusinesses into the portfolio and/or adaptation of climate smart practices within the existing portfolio
• Any other duties/activities as may be assigned to him/her from time to time from management.
• Set up a system of lead generation and pipeline conversion within branches. Including collaboration and support to the marketing team for lead generation.
• Develop a robust pipeline of Agribusiness portfolio
• Training and capacity building of agribusiness supervisors, credit managers and branch managers in Northern Uganda and Kampala
• Conversion of pipeline to actual agriculture loan portfolio growth – Value and Number of Borrowers. This is the main deliverable.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, Agronomy, Horticulture or Animal Science Business, Economics or other business related degree. Master’s degree added advantage.
• Demonstrated experience in SME finance oriented towards agriculture business development and portfolio growth. Experience in Northern Uganda added advantage.
• Minimum 3 years’ progressive experience in the Agribusiness sector.
• Strong analytical, negotiation and interpersonal skills with ability to network and generate strong business relations
• Up to date understanding of the agriculture sector in Uganda, agribusiness needs, farmers needs and the wider need for agriculture value chains financing.
• Experience working with agriculture credit guarantee schemes and/or blended finance facility a plus
• Ability to work independently as well as effectively in a team environment
• Excellent verbal and writing skills
The Consultant will work closely with:
NUTEC FS Team at partner financial institution.
The Consultant will report to:
NUTEC Financial Services Team Leader with dotted reporting line to the Bank’s Head of Credit.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org