Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services
Country Representative – Kenya at Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The Country Representative (CR) is responsible for managing and advancing the mission and objectives of CRS within the country. S/he provides strategic leadership for staff, programs and partnerships. The CR is also responsible for advancing CRS’ reputation and impact within the country and for monitoring and mitigating risks and liabilities.
Position Scope and Scale:
CRS has been working in Kenya since 1965. Programming activities during the early years focused on food distribution programs to help reduce infant mortality rates. Over the years, CRS Kenya’s focus has shifted from direct relief and food distribution to a comprehensive development program that works through partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya programs now support children affected by HIV, de-institutionalization efforts in collaboration with the government of Kenya, community-based efforts to increase household incomes, improve family health, nutrition and sanitation, and enhance agriculture livelihoods. The portfolio currently includes 9 projects with an annual budget of around $38 million funded via USAID/FFP, USAID Kenya, OFDA, and private foundations. The CR will further oversee the CRS Horn of Africa Country Manager (Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea) and the associated program office operations.
Develop and Enhance Partnerships
- Manage and develop strategic partnerships with the local church; seek out opportunities to pursue and advance common and complementary interests
- Develop strategic alliances with national and international organizations and donors that leverage resources, reputation and expertise
- Ensure CRS partners are supported and developed in accordance with CRS partnership principles
- Seek and pursue opportunities to raise the profile of the work of CRS and its partners, as well as the needs and challenges of our beneficiaries
Manage and Support Staff
- Strategically recruit high potential staff that align with agency core values and will help advance CRS mission and mandate
- Create and model an empowering environment that recognizes and values staff contributions and efforts and promotes staff well-being
- Provide constructive feedback and career guidance through regular coaching and mentoring and the use of the CRS performance management system
- Identify and develop future leaders
Manage and Mitigate Risk
- Remain vigilante regarding national and regional issues that may impact country program and partners; regularly communicate with regional and HQ staff of possible risks or liabilities
- Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans; ensure plans are continuously reviewed and updated
- Oversee the effective mitigation of emergency situations and proactive implementation of all emergency responses
- Ensure effective and compliant operations within finance, administration, information technology, and audit
Manage and Steward Resources
- Proactively monitor and manage all country program financial, administrative and human resources in compliance with donor and CRS requirements
- Ensure that CRS program quality standards are adhered to in accordance with the CRS Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) policies and procedures
- Provide oversight and analysis regarding monthly expenditures of CRS and partners
- Promote, uphold and model an unswerving commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources
- Provide leadership and direction in the pursuit of strategic growth opportunities; actively engage in pre-positioning and capture planning
- Ensure that all projects and programs meet and exceed donor expectations and are designed and implemented for maximum impact and reach
- Ensure strong representation of CRS to key stakeholders, including the local Church, national and local government, United States government, international donors, and development organizations
Champion and Lead Strategy
- Champion the vison, mission and strategy of the agency, ensure staff and programs align with and further the agency strategy
- Lead the team in the design and implementation of long and medium-term strategic goals
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development or a relevant field
- 10 or more years’ experience managing complex relief and development programs
- Demonstrated experience with USG resources; familiarity with USG rules & regulations
- Experience managing a variety of complex, high-value projects from multiple international donors
- Results driven; able to set and achieve ambitious goals and instill confidence
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to cultivate strong relationships while working with a wide range of individuals in and outside the agency
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences
- Proactive; willing and able to take on additional responsibility, challenge assumptions and facilitate change
- Discerning; able to maintain focus and provide good judgment amidst complexity and uncertainty
- Develops others; excellent listener who is able to coach and mentor
- Aligned; able to support and champion the mission, vision, and values of CRS
- Strategic and innovative thinker; able to formulate guiding questions, leverage resources and find creative solutions
Required/Desired Foreign Language
- English required, Arabic, French or Spanish a plus
- Frequent travel required within the country and within the region
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Regional Director, Deputy Regional Directors for Program/ Management Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, Overseas Support Department, US Operations, Program Quality & Support Department, Human Resources, Finance/Supply Chain Management Department.
External: Government of Kenya, national and local level officials from Catholic Church, US government, various United Nations organizations, other donor governments, implementing partner organizations, as well as key visitors from the USCCB and CRS partner organizations
Supervisory: Somalia Country Manager, Head of Operations/Programs, Chief of Party
Agency-wide Competencies: (based on the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS; to be exemplified by all staff in fulfillment of his or her respective roles and responsibilities)
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Position Specific Competencies:
- Leads toward Strategic Results
- Manages Risk and Complexity
- Represents and Partners Strategically
- Champions Learning and Performance
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff working in emergencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
- Actively promotes safety and security
- Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com