DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESSOURCES AND ADMINISTRATION
Reports to: Director General.
Age Limit: 45
Education & experience
- Being a Rwandan by Nationality;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration or Equivalent Degree
- MBA or Equivalent Master’s Degree is desirable
- Relevant Professional Training in Human Resources Management would be an added advantage
- A minimum of 7 years progressive experience in Human Resources and administration field with at least 4 years as Senior Human Resources Manager or above in a well-established organization, preferably in the finance sector.
Job purpose statement
To offer leadership in planning, developing and implementing the overall human resources strategy, systems and procedures that ensure UMWALIMU SACCO attracts and retains skilled, competent, and highly motivated personnel capable of delivering the organization’s strategic objectives. To oversee provision of seamless administrative and procurement services within the organization. The position is responsible for staff selection & recruitment, discipline, grievance, learning & development, succession planning, performance management, compensation and benefits, culture and attitudinal development, HRIS, and internal communication.
Knowledge and skills
- Excellent Inter-Personal Relations and Communication Skills
- Experience in HR Management
- Personal attributes
- Strategic thinking
- Demonstrate leadership capability
- Motivator with strong personal influence
- Motivated by professional rather than personal concern
- Persistent when faced with difficult problems or challenges
- Remain calm in stressful situation
- Innovative and creative
- Highly confidential
- Planning and organizing
- Action oriented,
- Problem solving
- Interpersonal sensitivity
- Due Diligence
- Attention to Detail
- Develop human resource strategic plan in line with the corporate business strategy and offer direction on its achievement
- Participate in the development and implementation of annual business plans and thereafter ensure support for various units/ departments in the development of scorecards, their communication and cascading to the staff
Staff productivity and maintainance of optimum head count
- Ensure every employee has an updated job description.
- Conduct continuous review of the organization structures and ensure their relevance to business needs and that there are established lines of delegation, supervision, and management
- Ensure that a job analysis is undertaken before effecting staff changes such as promotions and recruitments
- Develop and maintain all necessary personnel planning, recruitment, and selection procedures to ensure that the company has a staff of the right caliber to enable it to meet its corporate objectives.
- Develop and maintain a remuneration strategy and appropriate terms and conditions of employment to ensure that the Institution is able to attract, retain, and motivate staff.
Staff Selection, Recruitment, Communication, and Welfare
- Enforce the recruitment policy and processes
- Manage headcount and staff costs against the approved budget limits
- Liaise with other functional/ departmental managers to understand all the necessary human resource needs and objectives such as development needs and ensure they are fully informed and well guided on human resources best practices
- Oversee planning, development, and implementation of the internal communication strategy
- Facilitate general staff meetings/ consultative forums and maintain a culture of open communication within UMWALIMU SACCO
- Prepare all human resources board and annual reports
- Oversee the development and implementation of staff welfare programs to maintain high levels of motivation and commitment
- Update and communicate human resources policies and procedures
- Maintain an awareness of the requirements of employment legislation to ensure that the Institution complies with all legal requirements and to provide sound advice to management.
- Encourage and maintain sound employee relations by undertaking all necessary consultation and negotiation with employee representatives and by ensuring the effective communication of Institution policies.
Learning and Development
- Develop and maintain all necessary training policies and procedures to ensure that all staff are trained and developed to the standards required.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the annual training and development calendar
- Approve training and manage their budgets
- Oversee compliance on employee-related statutory requirements
- Oversee the development and maintenance of high standards of induction and onboarding processes
Performance management, compensation, and benefits
- Oversee preparation of annual performance plans and setting of targets and objectives
- Inculcate a culture of bi- annual performance reviews
- Continuous review of compensation and benefits policy to ensure UMWALIMU SACCO remains competitive
- Oversee payroll management (HRIMS) and monitor remittance of statutory deductions to ensure compliance
- Collaborate and coordinate the activities of outside suppliers of services and goods contracted by the organization, including, underwriters and brokers
- Oversee property management, contracting and company’s asset management, and maintenance
- Ensure procurement procedures and guidelines are followed and are in operation
- Ensure maintenance of legal records, licenses, and approvals and ensure their timely renewal and display of respective licenses.
Leadership and Employee Relations
- Guide, lead, and manage staff in the department in such a manner that promotes motivation, efficiency, mentoring them into leadership roles, and a high degree of discipline in all activities.
- Build a performance culture through the use of performance related reward structure, inculcation, and embedment of institutional values, recognition, mentoring, and coaching.
- Work in liaison with other department heads in identifying staff requirements, training gaps, changes, movements, and implementation of the same
- Facilitate and support Senior Managers and other staff, keeping them focused on the institution’s vision & mission.
- Ensure all staff set annual performance targets in line with the institution’s business plan and avail continuous monitoring and feedback for performance related decision making.
- Ensure all staff matters are covered by the guidelines of relevant employment laws
- Oversee establishment and proper implementation of disciplinary systems and procedures
Operations, Planning and Budgetary Oversight
- Develop human resources policies and procedures that are responsive to business needs and overall strategy and ensure adequate communication.
- Continuously review processes and recommend changes that increase overall efficiency and effectiveness
- Develop annual departmental budget and ensure cost effective use of the institution’s assets and promote a culture of waste reduction
- Manage the human capital budget for optimal utilization and effectiveness.
Networking and Liaison
- Provide inter-departmental linkages to ensure harmonious work relationships.
- Participate and contribute fully as a member of the senior management team and in various committees for the common good of the organization
- Represent the organization in the community; build a network of external contacts in the finance sector industry.
- Initiate and engage in all activities, conducive to the financial health, the growth prospects and the fulfillment of the organization’s mission to the best of the ability and with the appropriate dedication of the time and efforts required
- Perform any other related duties assigned by the Supervisor.
- Establishment and entrenchment of a performance culture and high staff productivity Monitor, measure and avail periodic reports on human resource issues, opportunities, and development plans Manage and develop direct reporting staff
- Manage and control departmental expenditure
- Effective internal communication system
- Effective administrative and procurement services including high standards of premises maintenance and efficient supplies to all departments
- Satisfactory audit rating and inspections.