Environmental Specialist at Rwanda Environment Management Authority (
): (Deadline 9 September 2020)
Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) through the Single Project Implementation Unit (SPIU), has obtained funds from different development partners to support the Government of Rwanda in its commitment to deliver on its development agenda. It is in this framework that REMA would like to recruit a competitive staff on a contract basis to the position of Environmental Specialist. Under the direct supervision of the SPIU Program Manager (s) and overall supervision of SPIU Coordinator, the Environmental Specialist shall undertake the following tasks:
1.Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Sector Specialist in analyzing technical feasibility of subprojects during the subproject review process, with particular emphasis on environmental issues;
- Assist the NPC to respond to the technical support requests from the Community- Based Groups(CBG), private operators, and other beneficiaries of the subprojects and take necessary actions;
- Ensure and supervise the implementation of the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) and the Integrated Pest Management Plan (IPMP) in project financed activities;
- Work with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to (i) identify adequate environmental indicators for Co-management Interventions (CMIs) and (Community Driven Development (CDD) sub-projects, and (ii) ensure timely and adequate monitoring of environmental-related activities supported by the project;
- Close follow up of the development of studies that LVEMPII will undertake
- Organize a technical workshop to review and validate project documents (including studies);
- In collaboration with the Community Development Specialist, organize trainings and study tour for projects beneficiaries;
- Conduct Environmental screening of the CDD sub-projects and monitor the implementation of the recommendations;
- Organize and supervise participatory environmental monitoring and auditing within project site in collaboration with Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E) Specialist, field environmentalists, and the Community Development Specialist;
- Link with key project stakeholders to achieve the objective of the project;
- In collaboration with M&E Specialist ensure that monitoring of the Environmental related results indicators (as per the projects results framework) is conducted on quarterly basis;
- In collaboration with the Communication Specialist ensure that the achievements on Environmental related results indicators (as per the projects results framework) are documented and disseminated;
- In collaboration with the Communications Specialist, M&E Specialist, organize Steering Committee Meetings (twice by year) and National Technical Advisory Committee (quarterly basis);
- Participate in the Meetings of District Project Coordination Team;
- Perform any other activities directly related to the project objectives that will be assigned by the Project Coordinators.
2. Education Background
- At least a Master’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources Management, or Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources Management, with experience of five years.
- At least (3) years of working experience in working on Environment community-related projects;
3. Key Technical Skills & Knowledge required:
- Extensive knowledge of monitoring Environmental Impact Assessments, Environmental safeguards, environmental protection and management, environmental awareness and watershed management; familiar with different environmental safeguards’ standards from various organizations such World Bank and others
- Proven competence in conducting environmental scoping reports
- Proven competence in the use of computer applications including Microsoft office;
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda, English with a very good knowledge of French;
- Very flexible to work within a team or individually;
- Able to work with different stakeholders;
- Able to work under pressure and meet challenging timescales.
- Experience in environmental protection and management;
- Experience in environmental monitoring;
- Experience in environmental awareness;
- A solid understanding of the watershed management approaches.
Interested candidates will submit their applications including CV, application letter, and academic qualification. Recommendation of the last employer, applications will be sent at [email protected] Late application shall not be considered. The deadline for the submission of the application shall be on the 09th/09/2020.
For any further information, please visit the REMA website.
Done at Kigali, on: 01st/Sep /2020